Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

The Terrible 5's

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:12 PM
  • 5 Replies

I am a single mom of a 5 year old boy.  I live at home with my parents.  Sometimes I feel myself at my wits end.  He's only 5 and he already has a know-it-all attitude.  He loves to push his limit and see how far he can push it.  He's usually a pretty good kid but sometimes he drives me crazy.  He's all boy and can nevver sit still.  I can't say that I don't believe in spanking but I find myself not wanting to do it.  I don't want him to to take advantage of me either though.  Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get him to cooperate with me a little more? 

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
tyfry7496
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:17 PM
I never spanked and have a respectful, well behaved teenager. I gave choices, demanded respect but also gave him respect. I ignored a lot if little things. I had clear consequences for bad behavior. We talked a lot about how his behavior affects others, what he could do instead. I took things away. Early bedtime, etc. I followed 1 2 3 Magic parenting book.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatonemomof2
by Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I feel your pain!! My son is 5 as well and he likes to push my buttons like no other. He thinks he knows everything. When I ask him to stop he wont until i raise my voice and he as a endless amount of energy. I live at home with my parents as well and my dad says that once he starts school. It will get easier. He starts on Monday so we will see. For right now if i have to ask ds more then once to stop something he goes to time out in his room, where he has to sit on his bed with his hands in his lap.  For the most part he is a good kid though, just lately its been kind of tough.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

You don't have to spank, there can be other consequences for back talking, etc.  Taking away a favored activity or toy, no dessert after dinner, early bedtime, etc all can work wonders.

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Welcome!!! I am still working on that with my 4 year old.  He has regressed back to the terrible 2's!

Reina13
by Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Make sure your rules are clear and concise and that he understands the expectation.

Make sure your consequences are clear and concise and that he understands them.

Follow through and most importantly be consistant with your rules, consequences and even rewards.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN