Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms
If you do not have a pet and would like to have one, which would you prefer, a cat or dog?

If you have a pet, do you prefer cats or dogs?

Why or why not?

I like to visit dogs and play with them momentarly. But, I do not like having them as pets. They're too high matainance, bark too much, and simply require way more than I'm willing to give. I prefer cats as they are more independent, quiet, cleaner, and are way more laid back. You can give them some food in their bowl, and generally will take at least a day or two before it needs to be refilled. Whereas dogs need to be fed a couple times a day, which means more money being spent on food. It's kinda like having another kid or a needy boyfriend.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Replies (31-40):
StephMarie_Mom
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Lmao at your definition of a real dog! That's been my families definition for years. As mentioned, I like dogs but not as pets. And the one's I do like are all big dogs. The minpin I had was given to me from a co-worker at the time, because he needed a good home. But all the other dogs I've "had" (they were mine and my uncles) were big. We had a rott, an australian sheppard, and a black lab at one point, and 2 cats! Haha when I went down to texas with family, we had 2 pits, then we got 2 chihuahuas. I liked the chihuahuas, but it wasn't my idea. It was my uncle's wife's idea! Hahaha

Quoting raynejane:

I am a dog girl, always have been always will. However, I have real dogs...you know the 100lb kind not those tiny yappy things. Those are not dogs! I have 2..River is a rott/shep mix and Rayge is a chessapeak bay retriever (she's the one pictured) They are the best dogs! I can take them to the park and play with them with out a leash and they dont take off after some other dog that show's up. They come when they are called, sit when they are told to sit, heal and give me unconditional love! I constantly get compliments on how well behaved they are. And they never went to puppy school I trained them myself. They are lil old ladies now! Yes, I have to have someone come stay with the girl's when we go away for a few days but I wouldnt trade them for a cat ever!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlrachal1
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I'm a dog person, but I think it's because I like the higher energy levels that they have. My ex is putting our dog down today though. :(

StephMarie_Mom
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 3:23 PM
How sad! Is he sick?

Quoting jlrachal1:

I'm a dog person, but I think it's because I like the higher energy levels that they have. My ex is putting our dog down today though. :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlrachal1
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 8:49 AM

She had an infection and kidney failure. The hardest part was that I haven't seen her since my husband asked for a divorce. When she saw me, she got so excited. Well, as excited as she could get. I cried and cried. I feel like my life is a bad country song. My husband leaves me, my dog dies...

Quoting StephMarie_Mom:

How sad! Is he sick?

Quoting jlrachal1:

bxmom2580
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM

i personally prefer small dogs

Kid_Cat_Mom2005
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I have two cats. I feel cats are better for apartments & dogs are better with homes with big backyard to run around in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephMarie_Mom
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Your analogy is hilarious, but the situation is not. Sorry to hear that. Poor dog!

Quoting jlrachal1:

She had an infection and kidney failure. The hardest part was that I haven't seen her since my husband asked for a divorce. When she saw me, she got so excited. Well, as excited as she could get. I cried and cried. I feel like my life is a bad country song. My husband leaves me, my dog dies...

Quoting StephMarie_Mom:

How sad! Is he sick?

Quoting jlrachal1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommynac
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I have two dogs and a cat and I love them all. As far as maintenance, though, I would have to say a cat is much easier to deal with than any pet (fish, hamsters, rabbits, dogs, etc.).

HyperMom38
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I have 2 cats.  I am soooo NOT a dog person.  They want/need too much attention and care.  I am a busy mom with a ft job and no time to walk a dog.  The cats just want a window to look out,  full food and water bowls and the occassional scratch.  Purrfect for me!

xiong1989
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 2:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd get a cat. 

Reasons why I wouldn't get a dog.  If you're lucky then you'll end up with a docile, calm, obedient dog otherwise you end up with a needy, whining, jealous, and obsessed dog that cannot leave you alone for more than sixty seconds on the go.  They poop or pee in the house when you're not home but obey you when you're home.  They stink.  They start thinking that they are the boss if you don't discipline them or train them constantly.  They expect you to pay attention to them all day long.  Some may think that they are cute but some are butt ugly dogs that are annoying in character and personality, especially the medium or large dogs that jump on people constantly even if their own tells them to stop.  Dog slobber and stinky dog breath.  I personally prefer long haired dogs over short haired dogs because it's easier to clean up the long hairs while the short hair is stuck in your clothes, on the counter, in the food, and all over the place.  Yuck.  Most dogs are selfish and think eveything belongs to them or they are the center of the world.  I wouldn't get a dog.

Cats are easy to clean, they go in the litter box, they leave you alone and come to you when they want to.  They don't bark constantly, they don't have dog breath, they don't jump on people, they don't whine constantly whenever they want something, they are actually smarter than dogs from my observation, they are not NEEDY like they cannot live without you if you leave them for more than sixty seconds or fifteen minutes.  They are independant creatures.  Most cats actually feel empathy for you when you're down and come to you for comfort while some dogs don't even have a clue at all and they only come to you when they feel down because they don't really seem to show any empathy to you that they know you are upset or sad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN