Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

What should i do??????!!!!**edit**

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:22 PM
  • 12 Replies
Im going to college for a BA in animal science i can get a job out of college but i would like to be a large animal vet. The problem is thats 4 more years of college and $120,000 more.

They need large animal vets so i can get a job but my salary could be 45k-150k
45k a year is not worth the debt and who knows how long until i can actually make 100k a year

Also im a single mom and by then he would be 5-6 so what do you think?
Yes or no? I would do a poll but idk how on my phone

**edit**
i decided i am going to do it. I think i will really regret it if i dont and i can see about grants and scholarships
After typing it out and thinking it through i think its best
It will be really tough wish me luck
If you have any tips, even if they are obvious, please share them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I decided against vet school when I got pregnant. Its very expensive and the pay isn't very good at all - not enough to pay off AND save for my sons school. There are other ways to work with animals that are just as rewarding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshinebee2
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Thats what i figured :/ the pay can be really high but thats after years of experience. Its just every time i hear. A story about a large animal vet who messed up (one told a farmer that the sheep had 104 fever another used a hook in the eye to pull a stuck calf out)i think jeez i disnt even go to vet school an i wouldnt of made those mistakes id be a great vet
*sigh* i guess it just wont work out

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I decided against vet school when I got pregnant. Its very expensive and the pay isn't very good at all - not enough to pay off AND save for my sons school. There are other ways to work with animals that are just as rewarding.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DobieCrest
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not fork out that much money in student loans.  That is a LOT.  What is it that makes you want to become a vet?  What about it do you think you will love?  Keep looking for something that will get you the income you need, but without the loans.  It is hard in the animal field, tho, I know.  I am thinking about getting my BA in business and opening a boarding kennel/groom shop/daycamp or something like that.

Meand5
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Follow your heart there is nothing like a job you love
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by Janet on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree!!

Quoting Meand5:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I would sit down and make a list of all the pro's and con's and go from there. 

Sunshinebee2
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I have worked summers on a farm for several years now and there is nothing like working with cows, horses, sheep etc. i know that large animal vets are in need because most vet students become small animal vets for reasons like
1. Less travel
2. Not working with huge animals
3. Not working in the mud and feces
4. Not working in the bad weather
5. Not working at 4 am because a cow needs a c section
But to me all of that is a plus or it doesnt bother me

I know i can get a job as a large animal vet because of my connections in the agri world but i do not know what my salary would be. Its the debt that scares me

Part of me says dont bother to much time away from my son and too much momey
And the other part says
It will be hard but you were planning on this until you had a baby, you can still do it you have wanted to for years

Quoting DobieCrest:

I would not fork out that much money in student loans.  That is a LOT.  What is it that makes you want to become a vet?  What about it do you think you will love?  Keep looking for something that will get you the income you need, but without the loans.  It is hard in the animal field, tho, I know.  I am thinking about getting my BA in business and opening a boarding kennel/groom shop/daycamp or something like that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshinebee2
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Pros
- i would defenatly have a job
- i get to work with farm animals
- i have wanted this for 7 years
- i could make a lot of money
- i could fill a position that is much needed these days (not many large animal vets)
- no regrets for not doing it

Cons
- 4 years of school
- 120k tuition
- time away from my son
- the possibility that i would make the same amount as a job with the degree i am getting now

Logically i should not do it but i cant help but want to sooo bad

Quoting easinpc:

I would sit down and make a list of all the pro's and con's and go from there. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SinceresMomma
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I was just about to say this. Follow your dream. Well always need vets. Maybe you can own your own business or something. You never know

Quoting Meand5:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Do what you feel is best for you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)