Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

My car burned up last Thursday.....Here's my story..........

My daughter called me frantic on the phone.  She could barely speak and all I got out of her was that my car was on fire.  She was crying and screamin on the phone about the car being on fire.  I was 20 minutes away at the barn helping out with my DD's horse.  I couldn't get her to calm down.  She ended up hanging up on me.  I called her back.  No answer.  I did this several times on my way home.  I called a friend to get to my home ASAP.  Once I pulled up into street and saw the charred remains of my 2006 Toyota Corolla, I got out of the car and ran inside the house.  I saw her standing in the kitchen talking to a deputy sheriff telling her side of the story.  Apparently, the car caught on fire due to a gas leak.  The gas literally dropped out of the car, landed on the drive-way in a huge pool of liquid.  My DD had no idea what was going on as she started the car and heard the swooshing of liquid pouring out of the car.  She immediately put the car in park and as she opened up the driver's side door the engine exploded - while she was inside the car.  She literally jumped out and ran away from the burning inferno.  She got to the very edge of the front yard and stood there crying and watching as my car was engulfed in flames.  The flames were higher than my two-story home.  Thank GOD she didn't pull into the garage.  My entire home could have gone up in smoke.  Thank GOD she got out of the car safely.  Thank GOD she's okay and alive. 

I'm dealing with my insurance company right now.  I've sent them paperwork and gave my info regarding the fire.  My DD has also told the adjuster what exactly happened.  I have a rental I'm driving now.  Hopefully, in two weeks I will have a new car.  We are still unsure as to what caused the fire.  Some kind of freakish gas leak - from the fuel injector to the gas line. 

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Replies (11-20):
MicahBoo07
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Glad she is ok..hope she got settled down and not scared from driving after all that. Good that u got back home to see what was going on. Good friends to help out in times like that are hard to find glad u had someone to help u out.

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM
That is super scary.

I was driving Bfs car about a year ago. And it caught on fire, while we were on the interstate.

It's super scary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephMarie_Mom
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Holy crap! How scary is that? So glad everyone is ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Oh my goodness how scary.  So glad she is ok. 

sid1083
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 5:22 AM

How scary. Good to hear everyone is safe.

mommaJewels2011
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 11:34 AM
That's traumatizing! Poor little thing. I hope everything gets worked out fast. I know it sounds extreme but you may want to take her to a counselor while it's still new to make sure she doesn't have any long term fears from this experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junip1977
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:24 PM

WOW how scary, I am glad your daughter is ok though.

meka26
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Glad she is ok. Sorry that happened.

jinxmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 2:45 PM

(HUGS) Glad ur dd is ok

steviechick
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Thank you, ladies.  My DD is doing okay.  I've been talking to her a lot lately.  She's been driving all over the place.  She even picked up her Uhaul truck and moved out last weekend.  SO many thing were going on with her.  Now she's moved in and enjoying her liberty and freedom.  I hope to see her apt soon.  She's still putting things away and organizing.  It's not been easy since she went back to work and will more than likely put in a double today.  I'm hoping to see her apt on Sunday. 

Working with my insurance company.  I picked up the police and fire report and sent them to the insurance aduster.  I had to fill out a lot of paperwork.  Hopefully, I will hear back within a week so I can start looking into getting a new car.  More than likely I will get Bluebook value for my old car since it was a 2006.  If it was one year old I would have gotten a brand new car.  My mom is helping me out with the difference in what the insurance will pay.  I need a decent car to drive that will last more than a year.  I'm blessed with a good mom.  If not for her I would be looking into a cheap car because that's all my insurance would be providing for me.  Not fair if you ask me.  My Corolla would have lasted until I was able to get a new car. 

It's been a VERY rough year for me - divorced last November, my DD almost dying in a freak car accident and then moving out on her own.  I'm just going to take one day at a time from now on.........

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN