Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Inlaws refuse to keep sleep schedule

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM
  • 6 Replies
This is an issue I have dealt with for 3 years. My husband and I divorced 3 years ago. He works second shift so on his two night during the week his parents keep our boys at his home until he getts off work which is after 10:00. During the school year my children go to bed at 8:30. However, at his house they don't make it till after 9:30 sometimes 10:00. His parents eat out every single night and they don't eat dinner till 8:00 or 8:30. I have discussed this with their dad and asked him to kindly ask his parents to go earlier or order in on those two nights (they never cook). He has done so but they refuse. The boys teachers have told me they are yawning and putting their heads down in class. It is only two days a week for heavens sake. Keep in mind though before you answer that these people are extremely self centered and only care about themselves. I have asked their dad to find a first shift job so he can be with them but he says there is nothing available. I have even offered to keep them myself on those two weeknights at his home if he preferred but he refused that as well. What would you do?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM
2 moms liked this
Get the order modified so that he only has the kids every other weekend so that way their education isn't messed up.

Education is the most important thing in my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2toeheads
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:44 AM
I really hate to do that and wasn't sure if it was even an option but I will have to I guess. I have tried really hard to keep things amicable but they are much more concerned with aggravating me than with doing whats best for the boys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NananRaysmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 12:31 PM
They have them...I guess their rules/schedule. If it doesn't work for you...you need to find other arrangements.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Get documentation from their teachers and ask for modification to schedule.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmom121812
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I would flat out tell the dad that your kids are the most important thing and if they are falling asleep in class then they cant get the education they need to be successful. So if his parents dont stop then he just wont have the kids stay over that he will only be able to see them a few hours on those days.If he doesnt like it or his parents dont like it tough(for1 your there mom looking out for there best interests) and they are basically saying that they dont care about your boys. They wanna do what they wanna do no matter how it affects those boys. If they dont change stop bring them over except a few hour play date. 

Also if he threatens court, then let him take you. He will have to pay if he wants to start it and you can tell the judge what happened and that you ask him to fix it they wouldnt and so you changed his visits it to a few hours. You wouldnt be trying to punish him by saying he could never see his kids again just that your kids are the most important thing. You would definitely win (but dont forget the letter from the teacher for those 2 day). 

I think your doing the right thing by looking out for your kids and if im way off base on this im sorry thats what i would do. GOODLUCK

tyfry7496
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Go back to court and get a modification so he gets them only when he's not working. Get documentation from their teachers, contact your attorney and get into court.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)