Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

my ex got a lawyer....

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM
  • 7 Replies

do i need one too? i just started a part time waitressing job. i have no money for a lawyer. he does coke and is a alcoholic. doesn't have a driver's license either. he hasn't seen my daughter in over a week by his choice. he is only doing this to hurt me. i don't feel like my daughter is safe with him. i want supervised visits and drug and alcohol testing. we were trying to work out visitation ourselves. any advice?

by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gsprofval
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Honestly, your best bet is a lawyer that will let you make payments and then make the ex pay your attorney fees.  Good luck.

LeeLee375
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM
I live in Kentucky, and here (whether or not u have a lawyer) the judge will first order parents to attend mediation, where they try to work things out. If, after that, you don't come to an agreement, I would want a lawyer.
That may not be how it works everywhere, though. Try legal aid, too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PaperClip811
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM
He said he got a lawyer or his attorney contacted you? I wouldn't do anything until you were sure.

But if he has lawyered up, you really should figure out a way to get one too. Get a cc or find a lawyer that will take payments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

You might want to at least consult with a lawyer or two to see what your options are.

lnrmom
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Have you been served? He probably is just trying to scare you. Once you're served, find an attorney, until then, start saving your pennies.

JCSmommy2
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm going through a similar situation except my son's father isn't an alcoholic but an occasional drug user. I went to see a lawyer yesterday and he told me I should establish residential custody over my son which means the child lives with you and the father would get visitation. You can share legal custody which is basically argreeing on decisions concerning the child. In different states the visitation schedule is different but if he is a threat to the child they will definitely give the father supervised daytime visits. I would get a lawyer if I were you, but just know the court favors the caretaker and if you are the person who takes care of your child all the time you really do not have much to worry about. Good luck and know all will work out for you. You can always PM me if you need to talk bc I can relate to what you are going through.
brieri
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Yes in this case best to get a lawyer to help you out.  Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN