Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

So torn - take the promotion or not?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:34 AM
  • 10 Replies

So a little background information. I started working at a bank part-time about 3 months ago and since then, my supervisors have been really impressed with my work. Going into the position, they've been aware that I wanted a full-time position if one became available. Well, one has become available in the neighboring department. Not only would this mean more hours for me, it would mean a raise as well - almost $1/hr more. I could do a lot with that money, but the problem I'm having is the scheduling of it all.

Here is what our schedule looks like now:

Monday: up with the kids, work 12-5PM. Home by 6, be with kids til bedtime
Tuesday: up with the kids, work 12-5PM. Home by 6, be with kids til bedtime
Wednesday: up with the kids, work 12-5PM. Home by 6, be with kids til bedtime
Thursday: Off work - home with kids all day
Friday: up with the kids, work 12-5PM. Home by 6, free all night
Kids are with their dad from 2PM on Friday until 6PM on Sunday, every weekend.

With this new job - the hours are 2PM-10PM, Monday-Friday.

My son will be going to K4 in a few weeks on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday every week from 8-11:30. Afternoon classes are available, but I feel like I need to be there when he gets off school. I don't want to hear from someone else (his dad or my roommate/best friend) about what he did at school today, what he learned, etc. I feel like as a mother, I want to be the one to pick him up after school every day and have a little time before I have to leave for work.

The reason I'm torn is this:

My son would be at school from 8-11:30, leaving about 2 hours that we get to spend together before I have to be on my way to work. I do like the fact that I would be able to spend that one on one time with my daughter while my son is at school, though. While I'm at work, I would miss them going to bed every night I have them, and that's something that doesn't feel right to me either. If I took this job, I would switch with their father so that I would have them every other weekend, and he could pick them up around 2 and keep them til I get off work. The kids aren't able to stay overnight completely over there during he week because their father has to leave for work at 5AM. So basically, I would work 2-10, and then go pick up the kids, bring them home, and put them back to bed.

My question is this: IS IT WORTH IT?

I mean, the money would be fantastic and I like that I would have guaranteed hours every week, and this position also has tons of overtime, which I would take on the weekends that I didn't have my kids. Am I silly for feeling like this would be a lot of time away from my kids?

What are your opinions? What would you do?

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Krystle21
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:00 PM
I had that schedule before and hated it bc I hardly seen my kids during the week. I told myself the next job I get will be school hours so I could be home with my kids. Is what Ur making pt enough to support Ur family? Would u be able to change Ur hours after you've held that position for a while? U just have to think which is more important
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:40 PM

That's a difficult decision.  But, since you'd be able to change your weekend schedule with your ex and have the kiddos every other weekend, it might be worth it, at least for now.

Welcome to the group!

mommynac
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Hard to say. I think it would be really hard on the kids to have to go to sleep and then get up at 10:00 to go home. Could you have dad come and stay with the kids until you get home? Or get a sitter?

lnrmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:27 PM

It would take some getting used to but if BD is willing to work with that schedule, it would be worth it in time. Would you be able to eventually switch hours to 8-5? While you wouldn't be able to pick him up from school, you'd still have evenings with him. And 4K is not necessary, can't you just not put him in school this year? Just askin.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM

You do what think is right.

Stephd710
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM
I didn't know there were positions at a bank that keep you there till 10pm. What's the job? Just curious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paparazzi.Mama
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

The position is called Lockbox Clerk, and basically if you pay your utility bill or school loans, that check comes through our location. We process the checks and get them prepped and ready to be deposited upstairs.

AspensMama1537
by Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Really tough choice. The money might really help to better your kids life, but your lack if time with them would be hard! If you are doing fine financially, I would tell your work you really want full time, but the hours of this position wont work for you. Hopefully they will keep you in mind next time one comes up! If you are struggling financially I would take it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
animebuddy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Its a difficult choice. The thing is with those hours you really wouldn't see your kids during the week. You could put your son in a later pre k class and spend the mornings with both kids so that you don't miss any time with them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paparazzi.Mama
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I keep going back on this SO many times! Right now financially, we're doing alright, but I also live with a roommate and her son so we split everything. I need to save for a car and I'll be moving out in February so all those things are telling me to take it, but I'm still SO torn about the kids! I thought about waiting for another position to come around, but there's not a lot of turnover as far as the fulltime positions go because they're mostly older people who have been there forever and aren't looking to go anywhere until retirement. And since I've only been there 3 months, they usually tend to go by "seniority" so I'm afraid to turn this one down and not be offered another one. Ughhhh I hate this!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)