Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Why do they break everything??

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM
  • 9 Replies
I have to vent! My two DS's break everything!!!! I have explained to them repeatedly in detail that what they do have they are fortunate to have because I have very little money and they need to help us by taking care of things. It does no good at all. My 5 year old breaks everything. Sometimes on purpose. A friend gave us two childrens fishing poles. I was so excited to take the kids fishing. Well DS, 5 year old, picked up a pole and stuck it in the spokes of his buddies bike and snapped it. He said he didn't know it would break. I didn't freak out but I sure wanted too. I calmly explained to him how disappointed I was that now we couldn't go fishing together and it made me very very sad because I was really looking forward to that. I didn't know what else to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
brieri
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Punish him.

Sidrosmomma
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:02 PM

They are kids.  They don't understand yet.  As frustrating as it is, you just have to deal with it.  Sorry, no advice or anything.  Good luck!

cdjd23
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Maybe put some of these things out of his reach so they aren't as easy for him to get his hands on. They are kids and yes they break things but if there are no consequences to the actions how will he learn what is acceptable and what isn't? Good luck.

momof2toeheads
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Okay but how does he know what he did wrong. He said he didn't know it would break it. So do I tell him he is being punished for using the fishing pole for something other than fishing which resulted in breaking it and/or for trying to stop his friends bike

Quoting brieri:

Punish him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Punish him. he is 5 years old. he is playing you and you are falling for it. he absolutely understands and absolutely knew it would break.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I agree with this.  From the ages you listed they should know basic wrong from right, but if you do not show that there are consequences from their actions they will continue to misbehave and just state that they didn't know any better.  Hugs!

Quoting cdjd23:

Maybe put some of these things out of his reach so they aren't as easy for him to get his hands on. They are kids and yes they break things but if there are no consequences to the actions how will he learn what is acceptable and what isn't? Good luck.

momof2toeheads
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Good point. I put him in time out and explained that the fishing poles were out for our trip and not for him to play with.

Quoting easinpc:

I agree with this.  From the ages you listed they should know basic wrong from right, but if you do not show that there are consequences from their actions they will continue to misbehave and just state that they didn't know any better.  Hugs!

Quoting cdjd23:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Geeez.  Yes, that's right you are the parent NOT his friend.  Teach him right from wrong. Say to him, by taking the fishing pole, "This is a fishing pole it is to be used for fishing not for putting into spokes in bikes." Tell him you still love him if he says to you I hate you.    Then ground him for a day or so til he's learned his lesson. Then ask him after the grounding what he did wrong, if he still doesn't know, then keep him grounded til he finds the answer. 

As i sit hear writing, something to came my mind.  when I was grade school and probably long before you attended, when we talked in class to another student the teacher made us stay after school and write 100 times on the board, I will not talk in class.  IF she did not have the time after school then we had to write those very words on paper and bring it back to school the next day to give to her.  It's punishment.  lol.

Quoting momof2toeheads:

Okay but how does he know what he did wrong. He said he didn't know it would break it. So do I tell him he is being punished for using the fishing pole for something other than fishing which resulted in breaking it and/or for trying to stop his friends bike

Quoting brieri:

Punish him.

katfeemom
by Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Your kid did not realize that sticking the fishing pole through the spoke of the bicycle, than his friend riding the bicycle, that the fishing pole would break?  Not much to say about that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)