Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

LONG POST-need some help!

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:32 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hi everyone, I'm gonna explain my situation and let me know what you think I should do. I'm a single mom (of course) and we live in an apartment building with 12 apartments and I'm on the ground floor. I've lived in the building for years, first with my mom and then I moved out of her apartment a few months after I had my son because we needed the space and the rent is pretty cheap here. Because its so cheap to live here, we get some of the trashiest people renting here and about half of the people in the building seem to think they're the only ones in the building and can be as loud and rude as they want. If people were just being loud, I wouldn't mind and it would roll off my back. The landlord has a hard time keeping the place rented because even though its cheap and its a small town, there are tons of apartment buildings here so he rents to whoever he can find. The latest round of tenents are AWFUL. One of them is another single mother with two boys, whose husband passed away before they moved in, so I feel bad for her but I CAN'T STAND her sons. She works nights and both boys are around teenage years. They live on the third floor and I live in on the ground floor, but they are constantly hanging out in back in front of my windows, which also wouldn't bother me besides the shit they've been doing. The used to be out there with a pellet gun all the time and a lot of times I'd hear them shoot at my air conditioner. Then they killed a rabbit and skinned it just outside my window. They covered their tracks with that one pretty good because all that was left was one of the rabbits feet that I showed to my mom to prove it happened. About a week ago one of the boys had a couple of cans of spray paint and whatever he was trying to paint he set between my living room window and my bedroom window and he was up and down over a dozen times between 6 and 11 giving it another coat of paint. Then lately second their mom leaves for work, which is 10 at night, both of them and usually some of their friends are out back smoking and I usually don't get my windows closed before the smell is in the apartment and I DO NOT want my son around smoke. Tonight it was the same deal, at least 3 teenaged boys outside smoking and being loud. I closed my living room window so I wouldn't have to smell it or listen to them, but while I was getting ready for bed I heard them joking around about taking a dump in a bucket that is always out there. They are getting worse and worse and I'm not comfortable confronting these boys by myself and its starting to REALLY stress me out to the point I had a really bad anxiety attack last night because I don't know what to do. I don't want to start anything with these boys because its just me and my son in my apartment and I don't know how these boys would react. Their mom isn't here at night to make sure they behave. The landlord is worthless and would discourage me from doing anything (like he did when my mom called the cops because one of the neighbors was abusing her daughter to the point where we could hear her beating her and she called him to tell him what happened and he told her she shouldn't call the cops again because he "didn't want the building to get a bad reputation.") I don't know if the cops can do anything about it. I wish I weren't so nervous about retaliation. If anyone has any advice for me, I'd really appreciate it!

by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MsEmma88
by Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:40 AM
I think that an anonymous call to the cops are in order. I was a bad teenager and parents called the cops so much they were forced to assign a cop to do drive bys every couple hours. Now the park is teenager free and friendly place to take my boys. I'd say call and maybe speak to the mother to let her know what's going on back there?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zeyda
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Aww you poor girl. I'm sorry to hear that. I'd be scared too. You have no male friends? Cousins brothers?. Who could maybe act like they are leaving with you? Just so the boys think your not alone?. To hell with the landlord. I'd call the cops anyway. It's yours and your sons health and safety right?. Be stronge mama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluebird24
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Good ideas, thanks ladies. I'll probably call tomorrow and talk to the cops because it seems to get worse each week. I was thinking about writing their mom a letter about what has been going on, but I don't know if that will do anything good.

mommaJewels2011
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 3:33 AM
Writing a letter is a good plan. But the cops need to be called! Multiple times if need be. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashbeth1978
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 6:38 AM
I have a teenage son & nephew and I can relate to everything you are saying here except them shooting your A/C. My son & nephew would be in a world of trouble for bothering any neighbors like that while I wasn't at home especially while I was at work to pay bills for us a place to live. First I'd talk to their mom as one single mother to another out of respect she most likely doesn't have any idea what they are up to while she's at work if that gets you nowhere then I would definetly get the police involved. I don't know what kind of kids they are but I live in a small town too & killing & skinning a rabbit & spray painting stuff are all things that their mother needs to be told about & if she doesn't believe you then start calling the cops I know we have a curfew & when she has to leave work to go pick them up or start paying tickets for disturbing the peace then she will get a handle on them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.

Have you tried to talking to their mother about the situation.  Take some pics with dates/time for proof to show her.  Maybe that will help alleviate some of the problems going on.  If that doesn't work, try to see if you can get a TRO against them so they can't come within so many yards from your home. Take her to small claims court or try calling Judge Judy! IF you do that, remember it will be an ongoing situation til they or you move.   As far as your landlord renting to people, there's probably not much you can do.

MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 5:03 PM
I'd have already asked those boys to go play somewhere else and of it persisted I'd call the cops anonymously. Screw that landlord.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluebird24
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Thanks for the advice ladies! It helps a little bit just knowing that I'm not overreacting to the whole situation. Sometimes in this building people are so inconsiderate that I feel like I'm crazy for worrying about being too loud or leaving messes in the hall since the majority of the building doesn't seem to care about bothering other tenants.

madisonsma08
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:16 AM
It sounds like where I live. I just made a few "concerned citizen" calls and now the cops keep the area patrolled and I have half the drama..... I honestly would do the same thing again if I had to. It started off harmless down here but got to the point that they would wake my daughter up, ring the bell at all hours of the night, knock on my windows ext.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)