Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 year old bedtime troubles??

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM
  • 16 Replies
My Dd is almost 3 years old. So we have had the same bedtime routine for about 5 months now. Books from 730 to 755ish, to the bed with a small snack, prayers, 3 songs, a kiss and I leave the hall light on and door open. We do this EVERY night without fail. But she screams and crys about half the time for half an hour about wanting to sleep with me once I leave the room. I had a baby about 6 months ago, and I know that is part of the problem. Tips? Advice? help????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommynac
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM

My son slept with me, and it took a bit for him to make the adjustment, but he's in his own bed now. I would start winding down right after dinner, and make her bedtime routine a half an hour longer. I usually start with a bath at 7:00 and go from there. I also helped DS through the transition by laying down with him until he fell asleep, and having a nightlight on and a stuffed animal. I also wouldn't expect her to make it through the whole night just yet. Hang in there. It will happen eventually.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I agree.

Quoting mommynac:

My son slept with me, and it took a bit for him to make the adjustment, but he's in his own bed now. I would start winding down right after dinner, and make her bedtime routine a half an hour longer. I usually start with a bath at 7:00 and go from there. I also helped DS through the transition by laying down with him until he fell asleep, and having a nightlight on and a stuffed animal. I also wouldn't expect her to make it through the whole night just yet. Hang in there. It will happen eventually.

ddwin
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Is there a way you could make something physical that she could 'help' with at night? My dd's therapist (speech) gave me the stuff to make little pictures of what was going to happen next, and I glued them to popsicle sticks and put them in a little paper pouch. (good lord, I'm not explaining this very well...lol)

Example: We had one popsicle stick for bath, one with PJ's on it, one with a Toothbrush, one that had a book on it, and one with hugs and kisses. For each 'thing' we finished, she would take it out of the numbered pouch (each stick had a number) and put it in the bigger pouch (that held all of them). When the hugs and kisses were done, the lights went out and I would lay with her for a bit (trying to squeeze into a toddler bed with a toddler is quite interesting).

It kind of helped her to know what was coming and she was in charge of moving on to the next 'thing'.

devynsmommy09
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I think you should just keep doing what you are doing.  He has to know that you are the parent and when you say its time to go to bed, its time to go to bed.  Once he realizes that no amount of crying is going to get what he wants, he'll just say to heck with it and stop trying.

sarahmiamaria
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Yeah when she wakes up at 3 or 4 I take her into my bed with me. Maybe that's part of the problem though? I hate listening to her cry for that long! I just don't know what else to do :(

Quoting mommynac:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
llion18
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I usually give my dd something to look forward to in the morning.

For example: you need to go to sleep now because tomorrow, you will see daddy or we can go to the pool.

Also I tell her if she isn't quiet then I will shut her door, she doesn't like that so she is quiet.

armyvet06
by Ashley on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:38 PM

here is what we do:

after dinner i let her play with her toys until bathtime at 6:30.

after i wash her up i let her play in the bath until 7

after the bath she plays with quiet toys until 7:15

7:15 we pick up toys

when toys are picked up (usually its around7:25), she sits in her chair and watches the wonderpets 

after the wonderpets, its hugs and kisses from grandpa, hugs for the dog, then hugs and kisses from mommy and then off to bed with country music on real low

mommynac
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I think sleeping until 3 or 4 is a pretty good start. She's been used to sleeping with you, so I would expect it to be a gradual transition. Eventually she'll go for longer periods of time. Personally, I would not let her cry it out. I feel like that would just make her even more fearful. JMO.

Quoting sarahmiamaria:

Yeah when she wakes up at 3 or 4 I take her into my bed with me. Maybe that's part of the problem though? I hate listening to her cry for that long! I just don't know what else to do :(

Quoting mommynac:

Venae
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Quoting sarahmiamaria:

Quoting mommynac:

Maybe she's waking up at 3 in the a.m. because she's in bed at 8:00.  Why so early to bed?  And do you mean that she takes a snack to bed?  'Cause that's a big no-no - brings rotten teeth and bugs to the bedroom.  Maybe a little more physical exercise to tire her out?

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:49 PM
The baby is a big adjustment keep with your routine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)