Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Moving to a big city with no support system?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 10:19 PM
  • 12 Replies

I am unemployed living in a small town with nothing to offer and I have been unemployed for a year.  A family friend wants to help me get a federal or gov job but said i need to consider moving to do so, and I would love too, but I will have no one to help me with my 5 year old if I do.

He recommends I consider moving near DC because thats where all the jobs are.  Now of course I wont do that until I get the job, but I am trying to figure out how I will handle taking my son to school, commuting to work, and getting back in time to get my son from school or after school care?  Not just in DC, anywhere.

If you have some info, please share.  Ideally it is better to stay near family, but thats my situation now and there are no jobs here.

If there is another city you recommend please share that as well.  My future looks bleak if I stay where I am.

by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Aug. 25, 2012 at 12:40 AM
I live far from family I have a great daycare that offers school pick up and drop off for the older kids and there are programs to help with cost if you need it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfullMess
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Thanks for the reply, ill start researching that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ForRaineW_Love
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I have no support system where I live. Her daycare is open from 6am-6pm, so I just work jobs where I don't go in any earlier than that and don't stay later. It's difficult to find work like that in retail (I work two retail-houred jobs, btw) so I consider myself very lucky. But, with a regular gov/office job it'll be easy. Your hours will likely be 9-5 (or even 8-4), so you'll drop him off before work and pick him up after. Since he's five, find a school that also provides before and after school care or a school that will bus him to daycare after school. You can do it. I know it's scary to think about but once you're doing it, it gets easier.

PaperClip811
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM
I know a lot of day cares have before and after school care and offer busing to and from the daycare and school. Might look into that :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
golfmama83
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 12:33 PM

If you do move to a bigger city, I suggest finding a job, apartment, and daycare/school in the same area/suburb/etcetera of town, or in areas as close together as possible. This will cut down on your commuting time and maximize your time with your son. Plus, you'd be close enough that you can h=get around quickly in an emergency.

Also, try to look for housing with easy access to public transit. That will also make your life easier!

Tashia07
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Support systems will eventually develop, so don't deal on that at the moment.  You just need to find the keystones like the mamas before me mentioned... job, housing, & daycare the other pieces will fall into place.  I had a boyfriend that lived in Mt. Rainer two bed two bath $900.

Keni-Lyn
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Most school districts have before/after school programs that are cheap or free if you apply for grants with the school. You can look at 211.org and find all kinds of resources in all areas of the country.

JoyfullMess
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I feel sooo much better seeing all of your replies.  It is really keeping me encouraged.  Thank you so much.

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 1:10 AM

OP- Some even offer latchkey programs IN the schools once your son is in school fulltime you would take him to his school for before school care, they will get him off to school, then after school he would go back to the same room (usually the school gym) & play games, do homework, etc until you pick up! And be sure to look into public assistance for childcare! If you don't qualify be sure to look into discounts for working with certain companies! The center my kids go to give a 10% discount for families who work for the bank we bank at & for families who work at the local Limited.

Quoting PaperClip811:

I know a lot of day cares have before and after school care and offer busing to and from the daycare and school. Might look into that :)

MaddieLainesMom
by Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 1:21 AM

When my daughter was 2 I moved from my hometown to Nashville, TN. Albeit, DC is a much bigger it is definitely managaeable. I would start searching daycares now and complie a list of ones to check out. Some even have shuttle service or bus service from the local school. Usually they'll be open during normal work hours (6-6). ONce you get to a new place it's important to find a new support system. Meet new people! Try to fnd moms of kids in your son's class, co workers, people on CM, whomever can be there for you if you need it (picking up your son if there's an emeergency/ you can call if you're sick and need something/ etc.) It may take time, but it will happen if you try at it. I personally love Nashville. I'm not sure hat you do or where you're looking to be, but if you want a recomendation Nashville or East Tennessee has mine! If you need to vent or just want to chat feel free to message me. I've been where you are!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)