Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Child Support

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:57 AM
  • 8 Replies

I'm still trying to get my life and my son's together after my ex broke up with me in June. We're being civil and seem to be getting along better. Anyway, when it comes to child support, are you supposed to factor in rent and utilities? Right now I'm staying with my parents so I'm not paying rent or utilities. I help out with food and my dad watches my son. My ex is going to be paying rent, utilities and daycare when he has our son. If rent and utilities count, I could be paying him CS. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

confused

by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
owl0210
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Child support is based on both parent's incomes.  

DDDaysh
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM

What state are you in? 

Most states have very explicit calculators online that tell you what should be factored in. 

easinpc
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I'm not sure as my ex and I don't pay each other child support.  I know that most states have online calculators that can help you determine what it should be, maybe check to see if your state has one?

mamalena137
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I live in NM and I've gone to the calculator but it has one line that says additional expenses and I wondered if that would be where rent and such come in.

Shaybay218
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 5:26 PM

In ga...it goes by income of both..

iamfreeatlast
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 5:37 PM

It is based on yours and his income.  There is a percentage that is supposed to be paid.  Good luck hope it goes better then mine.  I am still waiting on mine.  Owes me over $100,000

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:58 PM

go to your state's child support calculator and figure how much you are owed, then let him know what he would legally be liable for and see if you guys can agree. do you trust him to be fair and to pay you? i accept less than i probably could get legally but i hate court and my kids dad and i get along ok now.

reindeergames
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Non of that was factored in for us. It was based on the percentage of our incomes, so the judge combined both incomes together then calculated the percentage of each of our incomes combined in this instances my ex makes 76% of our combined income. With that said he pays so much childsupport calculated off of that percentage & his income, plus he has various other things he has to pay such as half of all extra activties, 76% of childcare while I work, & takes care of her healthcare. Our bills were not factored into that except childcare for me to go to work & the healthcare. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)