Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

moms on food stamps??

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 6:46 AM
  • 18 Replies
do u feel bad wen using them??
i went shopping the other day and wen i went to pay i sayed real low and got near the casher it was ebt ..i fealt so ashamed.. than i was thanking wtf am i doing ?? what am i affrde of.??. what other ppl will thank ..fuck em ..i,m feeding my fam..i,m not on the streets.i,m not selling dope,or my self ..my kids have what thay need..
no bashing ...
bw i have a older card and thy have to ring it up so i have to tell em ,give em my card..i just havent had chance to get another..oh and am not lazy or using the system ..i just cant find a job wth my disablitys.

no bashing i know i cant spell..

by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 6:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmother5946
by Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 6:56 AM
You shouldn't feel ashamed for using foodstamps. Everyone needs help once in awhile. A good way to make them go farther is to stay away from pre-packaged food. Cook from scratch as much as possible.
Bryntayk16
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 7:35 AM
Do not feel ashamed, you may not work at te moment but I'm sure you once have and your family does - you have earned the right to get food stamps. As for a job - IF you want one idk what kind of disability you have but many jobs you can work at with one - Walmart, patient registration at the hospital (if in wheel chair or something like that) dish washer at a resturaunt etc. of it doesn't work right now no big deal at all. The system is set up to help u as long as u need to work things out. I do not have food stamps bc I haven't filled the ap - however I'm in school and have a 2 month old and my boyfriend eats a lot to feed his huge appetite and right now we just finished the oatmeal - meaning we ONLY have ramen noodles left. I want to be on food stamps til I can get my degree and a better job. But for now I'm on wic. So I kinda know how it is when iget things and the cashier looks at me with a smirk. I brush it off completely. If they're rude I'm rude right bak. What makes me feel better is my whole family donates money for different things in our town, my uncle helped start the wic program and everyone works and has paid into it through taxes. So if someone gives me a look I just think about how I've earned the right to get a little help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alericksmommy
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 7:39 AM
I'm on disability and get only 718 a month I pay rent utilities and stuff for my ds and me I need food stamps I'm not ashamed I can't help my disability granted I don't like how the cashier looks at me but I brush it off
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Had3girls
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 7:46 AM
I have foodstamps and am not 1 bit ashamed .... if I could find a better job maybe I wouldn't need to have foodstamps but I have a job where I only work when the kids r in school and don't make much so I gladly accept the help .... in the past when I wasn't getting assistance I donated stuff to the food pantry so I've helped others as well so I don't c a problem .... don't let others upset u .... just take care of u and urs and smile =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vamom08
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 8:06 AM
I'm using foodstamp damn sure is and my baby got to eat I'm bless to use them and I take extra cash for the food I want. I'm not ashamed at all because majority of the food I get is for my 3 year old if your not using it properly then you should feel ashame or selling them people will make you feel ashamed that's life I will keep on using them I don't care what people say I know the doors will open up for me and I wouldn't need the foodstamps but until now I need them and I'm going to use them you should speak up I say it loud as hell "EBT" and my daughter be neat to people try to label you as ghetto when using them only thing that's ghetto about me is I put my oodles noodles in the microwave and I dry my socks in their.lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cenedra64
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 8:11 AM
I dont bat an eye. If it werent for foodstamps we'd starve right now. I live 15 miles from one town...9 from another. I have to bike everywhere since my truck engine went. Theres no possibility of jobs out here coz nothing but a gas station. Which i did apply at. What i hate is when a cashier reads your balance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carterscutie85
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 8:13 AM
2 moms liked this

As a cashier I promise that most cashiers do not care what you use to pay with.

All I care about it that you actually pay for your stuff so that I don't have to put it back.

MIMIBRIE
by Jayme on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:18 AM
I had that happen once. I seriously don't know why it's any of their business.

Quoting Cenedra64:

I dont bat an eye. If it werent for foodstamps we'd starve right now. I live 15 miles from one town...9 from another. I have to bike everywhere since my truck engine went. Theres no possibility of jobs out here coz nothing but a gas station. Which i did apply at. What i hate is when a cashier reads your balance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:59 AM

As long as you are not abusing the system I don't see why you feel bad at all about using them.  They are there to help those who really need it.

muwchck
by Erin on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Don't be embarrassed. If it weren't for foodstamps,my family wouldn't eat. We all need help at some point or another, and as long as you don't abuse the system, theres nothing to be ashamed of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)