Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

New to the group

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:14 AM
  • 10 Replies

Good morning everyone.  I am new to the group.  I have questions for other single moms and was wondering if you guys might help.

1.  I am a single mom of 4 kids.  I am wanting to date again but how.  I don't have the money, I don't have the energy, I am lonely. 

2.  How do you make it?  I live with my parents because I don't have a job and even if I did have a job I wont make enough to pay the rent let alone the other bills that come with a house.

3.  Do you have other single mom friends?  I don't the only friend I have is married and she just doesn't understnd when I talk about being lonely, or needing some me time, or complaining about living with my parents.  If you do have single mom friends how did you meet?

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armyvet06
by Ashley on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:17 AM

welcome to the group! im a single mom of one. i live with my dad and go to school full time. i lost my job back in december and havent found another one since then. but right now i am currently just focusing on my daughter and school. i have only one friend who is a single mom but she lives in a different state then i do.

deltathree
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Hi & welcome.  Glad you're here! :)

steviechick
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Hi, and welcome to the group.  I'd like to date again, too.  It's been 26 years since I dated anyone.  So, I'm VERY rusty.  It takes time to figure out how you want to date.  There are on-line sites.  Are you willing to meet someone on-line?  Email at first then eventually meet-up after a week or so?  That's how it's done.  Other than dating through websites the only way to meet/date someone is through happenstance or through a friend or neighbor.  If you you don't have the money to date then there is always just meeting up for coffee.  Coffee is cheaper than a meal.  If you don't have the energy to date then don't do it until you are ready to date. 

I have the house and am making all the bills.  But, then again, I have a decent paying job.  I was lucky in that regard.  What about child support payments?  What about going back to school to improve your resume or job skills while you live with your parents?  Not all moms have enough cs from the ex, but at least you are receiving some funds to support your kids. 

I only know of two single moms.  One I powerwalk with and have GNO's sometimes with.  The other is just breaking up with her SO.  So, she has a lot going on in her life.  I have a new part-time job, so that keeps me busier then I have been in the past year (since my divorce).  My daughter is in college and works part-time so I barely get to see her.   I met my single mom friends through work and through my daughter's riding barn.  My friend with the SO has a daughter that used to ride horses.  If you want to make friends fast try checking out your local churches.  There are single moms there and some even have singles groups. 

MichelleSw
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Welcome to the group. Single mom of one. I get by but you have 3 more than me. My best friend since childhood is a single mom as well. I've been dating someone for about 10 months now. Great guy. I would suggest online dating... Easy way to weed out the negative without much energy. 

MichelleSw
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Quoting steviechick:

Hi, and welcome to the group.  I'd like to date again, too.  It's been 26 years since I dated anyone.  So, I'm VERY rusty.  It takes time to figure out how you want to date.  There are on-line sites.  Are you willing to meet someone on-line?  Email at first then eventually meet-up after a week or so?  That's how it's done.  Other than dating through websites the only way to meet/date someone is through happenstance or through a friend or neighbor.  If you you don't have the money to date then there is always just meeting up for coffee.  Coffee is cheaper than a meal.  If you don't have the energy to date then don't do it until you are ready to date. 

I have the house and am making all the bills.  But, then again, I have a decent paying job.  I was lucky in that regard.  What about child support payments?  What about going back to school to improve your resume or job skills while you live with your parents?  Not all moms have enough cs from the ex, but at least you are receiving some funds to support your kids. 

I only know of two single moms.  One I powerwalk with and have GNO's sometimes with.  The other is just breaking up with her SO.  So, she has a lot going on in her life.  I have a new part-time job, so that keeps me busier then I have been in the past year (since my divorce).  My daughter is in college and works part-time so I barely get to see her.   I met my single mom friends through work and through my daughter's riding barn.  My friend with the SO has a daughter that used to ride horses.  If you want to make friends fast try checking out your local churches.  There are single moms there and some even have singles groups. 

26 years? I think it's about time mommy... lol. Need some tips? I think I'm pretty smooth :P

need_to_laugh
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I'm exhausted all the time it seems lately too.  I have 3 children and my parents live with me.  My ex has been gone for about 2 years and sees the kids a few times a week.  I am trying to finish my BS and am not currently working.  I don't know how I could handle it all.  I've been a stay at home mom for 13 years.  I am currently dating this nice guy for about 4 months, however, we hardly see each other..more like a text gm and gn..but it is still nice to have someone to think and care about.  He is busy with work and his kids.  Plus I find that starting slow is good.. When I first started meeting men, it was a night mare...there are a lot of creeps out there, so be careful.  But don't be frightened.  Find a pace that you are comfortable with and use your instincts.  Embrace the fact that you have a live in babysitter..that is a big plus!  I don't have many friends right now, most of them took sides with the ex just because that's the way things go.  They were couple friends and most people don't understand how lonely it can be.  That is why I am on here today.  This is actually my first visit...good luck to you!

brieri
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.

Simply don't have the time to date - if I do find one, I do make the time, if not, just don't worry about it. Finding single mom friends is hard.  The best place is find a church or finding a hobby you enjoy doing.

librarywizard
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM
If you are in the Chicago area, you could join my single parents group.
PaperClip811
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Hi, welcome! Good luck to you.

I waited a few years to date. I dated 2 guys, married the 2nd one :)

I always did it mostly on my own, but I only had 1 kid. My mom would help with daycare during the year and I would pay her back with my taxes.

Friends are harder to come by. I met one of my very good friends through this site though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Welcome to our group! I only have one child so my situation is a little different than yours since you have 4.  I work full-time and make enough to be able to support myself and my son.  I have a mix of friends who are single parents and who are married. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN