Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

single mom with kid/kids and rent....

How do you juggle kids rent and a job. has.any one made minimum wage or 9 an hour and got a apartment between 600 and 800 dollars. Where you successful in keeping things together or did it not work. Also answers from mothers who had no Support greatly helps as well. No Support is no child Support no family just u and your baby. Please do not say section 8 or rent based. I'VE TRIED I'm still on the list and for income based the list runs 2 to 5 years I don't have that type of time
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
hellokitty94
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Im sorry ive been I foster care for the past 2 years so now I get a check each month I also get wic, foodstamps and cash assistance
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsLogansMommy
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM
3 moms liked this

you can apply for food stamps, wic, tanf (tanf will be even if you work they will just prorate it at least that is how it is out here), like the other ladies said look for a place that will set your rent based on your income level. I dont recieve child support b/c bd receives SSI nice way of him getting off the hook but that is another post lol but definitely apply for child support if you havent already. There are agencies that pay for your child care and also you can supplement food by once a month going to the food banks, check craigslist and freecycle for stuff people are giving away. Shop at thrift stores and garage sales, plant a garden (i love fresh vegetables out of the garden and dd loves to help me garden), phone company and electric company offers discounted services to people with low income make sure you ask about it when you set up service well that is all i can think of at the moment good luck and it can be done just keep a positive attitude and pray that God has a plan He will never give you more than you can handle.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM
The only way I see it being possible is a studio or a room mate
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
happy fall y'all...
Today at 12:53 PM
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM
idk i live wth fam..i,ll be liven wth them till i die ..
kristiansmommy1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I know you can't wait 2 years but get on the list so you'll get it once it's available. I had to go into a shelter when my family lost our house...i had no other choice, I didn't have my license so I couldn't get to my job it was horrible but I only had to stay 12 weeks and they helped me get an apartment based on what I make...it was really a blessing in disguise bc the program helped me get my license and this apartment. It's in the projects but it's not bad. Apply for state and federal housing and section 8 and atleast get on the list, apartments here are atleast 1100 for a 2bdrm so there's no way I wouldve been able to do it on my own. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lurion
by Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:18 PM
4 moms liked this

Well here's how I made it through my first few years as a single mom. I did have some family support but still had to be resourceful and resilient. 

1. Worked three part-time minimum wage jobs that I could take her to (yep! I found them): Babysitting for other people (one was a trade--we watched each others' kids when we had class), teaching gymnastics at the Y where I left her in the nursery, and selling make-up from home. Then I nannied full time for 9 months and took my daughter along.

2. I rented the upstairs of a home (2 small BR and 1 bath) of another single mother. I think I paid $350-$400 at the time? 20 years ago.

3. I got food stamps for a short time--maybe 3-6 months

4. I was a college student when I got pregnant. As a single mom, I qualified for a little financial aid and some small loans. Not much, but it helped a lot. 

5. When I finally started getting child support and graduated from college, I picked up and moved to Central America and lived on that $300 a month plus whatever I could make teaching English. I worked as a teacher's aid at a private pre-school where my daughter could attend for free. Stayed there and had 4 wonderful years with my little one, until we moved back to the States and she started school. 

I am not a teacher or a particularly good nanny/babysitter! My degree is in marketing. I took jobs babysitting just to be with my girl when she was young. 

I did have some support from family. My sister helped out with babysitting sometimes and my parents paid some daycare expenses. 

It was tough even with the education and support I had. It takes a lot of creativity and positivity, but I was surprised at how many people offered to help me along the way. I know I had it better than a lot of mothers in the same situation, but there are ways to create your luck!

Robsessed98
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM
Ive never worked for minimum wage, but you just have to cut every corner you can and get any government assistance you can. You just learn to live without things you dont have to have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I have 5 kids. When ex lost the house he bought for us I had to move to an apartment. It was $800 a month for a 3 bedroom garden plus garage (which was used for storage). I had been at my current place of employment for almost 4 years then. I was making less than $9/hr. I received not only child support but PA for childcare, healthcare, & at the time food stamps. I struggled so much that there was one month I only had $200 for rent. My ex came up with the other $200 & my church gave me the other $400.

I praise God that my grandmother left my dad (& his sister) money when she died & my dad took part of that money (which was really my inherentance- he didn't reveal that until after my divorce) & bought me (& my kids) an awesome house. It's not too small but nothing lavish either. I do have to pay them rent, but that $800 a month for rent at the apartment did not include electric. My $800 a month I pay my parents covers gas, electric, water, & renter insurance.

I do work full time M-F 8-5 plus I am a soccer mom, my DD plays violin, & my other DD is in the band. Oh yeah & I have a 3yo! lol

angie2568
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Sorry I cant offer advice.

I have excellent family/friends - I rent from my parents. I get no child support I have 3 children. I have always worked since 14 through age where no limited hours - saved that and after HS saved money. I have faced 2 layoffs since 2009.

babyandmommy824
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:51 AM
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE ESPECIALLY LURION I HAVE SO MUCH MORE CONFIDENCE NOW IN GETTING A PLACE FOR ME AND MY SON I JUST WANT HIM TO BE HAPPY AND I REALLY WANT HIM TO HAVE A WAY BETTER LIFE THEN I DID. AND TO THOSE WHO SAID I CANT I LOOK FORWARD TO PROVING YOU WRONG. AND TO THOSE WHO MADE NO SINCE OR HAD ANY MEANING TO THEIR RESPONSE THANK YOU AS WELL.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)