Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

single mom with kid/kids and rent....

How do you juggle kids rent and a job. has.any one made minimum wage or 9 an hour and got a apartment between 600 and 800 dollars. Where you successful in keeping things together or did it not work. Also answers from mothers who had no Support greatly helps as well. No Support is no child Support no family just u and your baby. Please do not say section 8 or rent based. I'VE TRIED I'm still on the list and for income based the list runs 2 to 5 years I don't have that type of time
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Replies (21-30):
babyandmommy824
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:58 AM
MsLogansMommy thank you very much your response helpd as well and gave me knowledge and more insight on things thank you so much.
babyandmommy824
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Quoting MicahBoo07:

I have two boys work minimum wage and have an apartment it is based off how much u make. Things always work out on how they should be.

Many people can live on with what they have with the resources they have. Making it for ur kid(s) should be all that matters then other things or people.

How
SaraSnider
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldnt go for a place that high. My sister has a place for 675 a month a min wage job but she also gets child support and has my other sister living there to help with half the rent and power. She also finds herself asking my mom once a month for gas and diapers. I was working 25hours a week on min wage but i couldnt seem to afford more then diapers, wipes,gas,and phone bill :( i hope you have good luck hun
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I've done it, with two kids. You find the cheapest apartment you can find in your area, then you get creative. Meal planning is key, because if you know what you're going to have for dinner you won't run through the drive thru. Also keeps you healthier. Cut as many expenses as low as you can. We didn't have cable for YEARS. We have it now only because I make better money now. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help. 211 is a great resource, and I think its national. You call it from any phone and it can hook you up with resources in your area that might be able to help you with whatever you're needing. Don't be afraid to ask for help. There is no shame in that.

If you have no support system in your area, you need to build one. Start meeting other moms... some ideas include church, work, the park, online (find mommy groups in your area)... you can set up babysitting co-ops where you alternate weekends, or nights, or whatever. Or you can get together for play dates for the kids and moscatto for the mom's. We used to sit in the driveway and drink moscato while the kids played. It was a lot of fun for everyone.

Also, there might be income based housing in your area. Talk to the housing people and see which ones are out there then call. Or google it.

Good luck. 

lnrmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I'm considering taking off and living in Central America, but the BD is a douche and will probably block it. How did you manage that?

Quoting Lurion:

Well here's how I made it through my first few years as a single mom. I did have some family support but still had to be resourceful and resilient. 

1. Worked three part-time minimum wage jobs that I could take her to (yep! I found them): Babysitting for other people (one was a trade--we watched each others' kids when we had class), teaching gymnastics at the Y where I left her in the nursery, and selling make-up from home. Then I nannied full time for 9 months and took my daughter along.

2. I rented the upstairs of a home (2 small BR and 1 bath) of another single mother. I think I paid $350-$400 at the time? 20 years ago.

3. I got food stamps for a short time--maybe 3-6 months

4. I was a college student when I got pregnant. As a single mom, I qualified for a little financial aid and some small loans. Not much, but it helped a lot. 

5. When I finally started getting child support and graduated from college, I picked up and moved to Central America and lived on that $300 a month plus whatever I could make teaching English. I worked as a teacher's aid at a private pre-school where my daughter could attend for free. Stayed there and had 4 wonderful years with my little one, until we moved back to the States and she started school. 

I am not a teacher or a particularly good nanny/babysitter! My degree is in marketing. I took jobs babysitting just to be with my girl when she was young. 

I did have some support from family. My sister helped out with babysitting sometimes and my parents paid some daycare expenses. 

It was tough even with the education and support I had. It takes a lot of creativity and positivity, but I was surprised at how many people offered to help me along the way. I know I had it better than a lot of mothers in the same situation, but there are ways to create your luck!

Lurion
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I was able to do it because the BD didn't have anything to do with my daughter anyway. 

It was the best experience of my life and great for her, too.

I went down as a volunteer with an organization that helped find me housing, etc. then ended up staying 3 extra years, getting married and moved back to the US when my daughter was ready to start school.

This was the early 90s. Every time I travel with kids now, I need a notarized "permission slip" from the father...they weren't so strict back then!

starchild321
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM
My kids are older and I only one at home who is old enough to take care of her self. When they were younger, I used an agency for child care assistance and it wasn't through welfare. A social worker told me about another program. Now I work two jobs both part time. It seems to work for now along 17 year old's SSI.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Gotcha. My girls are now teenagers. I am waiting impatiently for them to finish high school so we can go. :) They are going to go with me. (I can't wait)

Quoting Lurion:

I was able to do it because the BD didn't have anything to do with my daughter anyway. 

It was the best experience of my life and great for her, too.

I went down as a volunteer with an organization that helped find me housing, etc. then ended up staying 3 extra years, getting married and moved back to the US when my daughter was ready to start school.

This was the early 90s. Every time I travel with kids now, I need a notarized "permission slip" from the father...they weren't so strict back then!

babyandmommy824
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:43 AM
so to confirm i cant or can afford a 800 two bedroom? or what would you say would be that max you would spend if you where in my situation????
babyandmommy824
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:44 AM
once again thanks to everyone this really helps
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)