Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

single mom with kid/kids and rent....

How do you juggle kids rent and a job. has.any one made minimum wage or 9 an hour and got a apartment between 600 and 800 dollars. Where you successful in keeping things together or did it not work. Also answers from mothers who had no Support greatly helps as well. No Support is no child Support no family just u and your baby. Please do not say section 8 or rent based. I'VE TRIED I'm still on the list and for income based the list runs 2 to 5 years I don't have that type of time
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Replies (41-50):
lindilouwho82
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:09 PM
2 moms liked this

When I was just starting out as a single mom, I knew instantly I needed an education because $9-$10 bucks an hour was never, ever going to cut it. I had a full time job but even with overtime, couponing and state medical, I was always on the verge of having my phone shut off or my cable disconnected or even worse being evicted or the power being shut down.

I applied for FAFSA, took out student loans, got Pell Grants, between the loans, the grants and working part-time I made it through my first two years of school with financial stability. Once I graduated and landed a great job, I had very little money issues and was able to afford a relatively easy life. I went back to school, got my Bachelor's, made even more money and now I am in my second year towards my Master's and after graduation I will make even more than I am making now.

No one, not you, not anyone else can make a living off of 9 dollars an hour. Not only will you struggle to pay the bills, but you will be giving 40+ hours of your life away to a job that will never support a  better way of life. You cannot get any of those hours back, so you might as well re-invent you work week and get an education.

babyandmommy824
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:26 PM
good 4 u lin nice to know
phil432
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Try work with non-profit organizations, shelter in your area, they help with housing even faster.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyandmommy824
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Phil thanks I'll look into that
bj305
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:37 AM
My rent is 750 our phone bills light car I get 200 fs & 7.67 an hour it tough I have too pays them more bill than what I bring home too make worse
Yesteday I went to visited my friend that had a baby at the hospital for less than 2 hour they prone my window.
babyandmommy824
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Quoting bj305:

My rent is 750 our phone bills light car I get 200 fs & 7.67 an hour it tough I have too pays them more bill than what I bring home too make worse
Yesteday I went to visited my friend that had a baby at the hospital for less than 2 hour they prone my window.

How do you manage to do this you make barely anything and you pay for all this you must have help
phil432
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM
It depends on where you reside for you to pay less rent, in fairfax, va, I bedroom is from $900
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlilKittyKat
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I've been on my own for 5+ years now, with 3 kiddos.  I've never had CS or PA, i did have WIC for a short time when my youngest was eligible.  I also had help with childcare through the county, which was a huge lifesaver at the time.  I had some family support, but not financially.  It hasn't always been easy, but things always seemed to worked out for us.  I have tried the roommate thing, which i will not do again (I'd rather struggle on my own).  We've just had to buckle down and not have a lot of the extra perks in life.  Anythings possible if you put your mind to it.  Good luck momma. 

anewdawn2012
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

It's possible I have done it.  I'm thinking 9/hr take home conservatively $1300 at full time.  Find a $600 apartment that includes rent/water/sewer/trash.  You should qualify for food stamps.  Use them, swallow your pride it's only temporary!  Same for Medicaid and daycare if need be.  That leaves you $700, not sure if you have a car payment but let's say its $200.  That leaves you with $500.  Gas for the car $150 leaves you with $350.  Electricity you can keep low by keeping the ac on 78 in the summer and 67 in the winter.  Use blankets and fans!  Unplug any appliances you aren't using.  Even if you're not using them it's called vampire electricity.  You should be able to keep your electricity  around $100. Cable isn't a necessity so you don't have to have that.  Not sure what your car insurance is like but if the car is paid for and you have full coverage consider liability.  You're not gonna have money for a lot of luxuries but the fact that you are taking care of yours and you can go to your own house and lay down at night is luxury enough!  I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting but there is still $250 left in the budget!  It can be done though I promise.  I did it while going to school and now I have my Bachelors and a well paying job so hang in there!

meranda20
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I really liked everyone's comments to her that was positive, it has really helped me because I'm trying to get my nurses aid license an go to school an this has really helped me. i haven't started my nurses aid class yet but will start in about another month an will start college classes in January. I think you can get your apartment making $9 an hour, I think it's going to be very difficult an you will need to be on a very serious budget like not spending if it isn't necessary. I know I struggle with that, I've found an apartment complex an a 2 bedroom is $465 a month an it has stairs, washer, dryer, free cable an I thought that I couldn't afford it but listening to stories about how high rent is in some of you all towns I think I can do it. Goodluck to you so can you, if they can do it, we can too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN