Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Custody clinic or lawyer up?? Advice please?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM
  • 39 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: What should I do??

Options:

Attend custody clinic

Wait to get a lawyer

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 15

View Results

So a friend messaged me on FB the other day and was telling me that through Legal Aid I can attend a free custody clinic next month and after watching a 30 minute video and some other things, I will be/can be given a custody packet to file for custody. You file your own paperwork and you represent yourself in court. Currently my ex moves around so much, they couldn't even locate him for his court date last week for failure to pay child support.

I know he's around though because he and I have been texting back and forth for the past 2 days or so. He knew about the court hearing but he chose not to go and he can say that he was never served which he wasn't.

Anyways, do you think this would be a good idea or should I just save up the money and get a lawyer? Isn't he/she going to do the same thing I will be doing i.e. filing paperwork, etc.? Does anyone know how custody hearings work in NC? I've tried Google but didn't come up with much or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

Considering his past I don't think he would ever be able to get custody of any kind but if he gets visitation I would prefer for it to be supervised at 1st because my son has never been alone with him since he's been born and he's 7 years old.

Also, my ex's mindset is screwed but I know that I can't use that against him because we are all entitled to our own opinions but I don't want him teaching my son the wrong things like everything wrong in his life is the "white man's fault" and "your mother is a whore, etc. etc."

Advice please??

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Can they give you names of people that went thru the legal aid process so you can ask their experience?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I doubt it lol that's why I'm asking on here :)

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Can they give you names of people that went thru the legal aid process so you can ask their experience?

brieri
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Can go either way - but with the conflicting issues you have with your ex it is probably best to get a lawyer.  You also say you have spoken to your ex recently and he knew about the court date, but yet at the same time he didn't get the paperwork - ummm....think about it.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:39 PM
I never had a lawyer... my court has process servers that are police/sheriff and for 30.00 they will serve other party. Very worth it when someone is avoiding being served
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:37 PM
No matter how much info they give you, theres still too many legal issues and loopholes you wont know about but your exes lawyer will. Id never recommend representing yourself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starfshsurprise
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I would get a lawyer.  There is just too much that could go wrong otherwise.

raegan1221
by Raegan on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I think it's probably best to get a lawyer. We're in the middle of a custody battle for my boyfriend's daughter right now and our lawyer is great. Some of the things he says and is doing I would've never thought about. If I were in your position, I'd go the lawyer route.

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Yea that's true. Didn't think about that but in this case we would both be representing ourselves if I filed the paperwork because I know he can't afford a lawyer. He has no job.

Quoting Robsessed98:

No matter how much info they give you, theres still too many legal issues and loopholes you wont know about but your exes lawyer will. Id never recommend representing yourself.

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Yea that's true. He knew about the court date because I told his other bby mama/girlfriend to remind him about it about 3-4 days before he was supposed to go. He probably chose not to go because he didn't want to pay his $50.

Quoting brieri:

Can go either way - but with the conflicting issues you have with your ex it is probably best to get a lawyer.  You also say you have spoken to your ex recently and he knew about the court date, but yet at the same time he didn't get the paperwork - ummm....think about it.

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:10 AM

How much did you lawyer cost? How long have you been going through this? How ols is your sd?

Quoting raegan1221:

I think it's probably best to get a lawyer. We're in the middle of a custody battle for my boyfriend's daughter right now and our lawyer is great. Some of the things he says and is doing I would've never thought about. If I were in your position, I'd go the lawyer route.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN