Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How do you handle when a family member or friend swears infront of your 11 year old.

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM
  • 21 Replies
Any idea on how to politely tell people not to swear in front of my son .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Just tell them that you preferred they didn't use that language around your child. If they continue, limit the time your child is around them. And remind your child that language isn't acceptable in your home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charlotte1608
by Lottie on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Around my family I say "watch your language!" and I haven't had a friend swear around them before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM
2 moms liked this
My kids knew those words by then I just told them they weren't allowed to say them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM
3 moms liked this
Eh, I curse in front of my six year old.

Bigger battles and things to worry with than curse words.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Just come right out and tell them youd appreciate it if they would watch the language in front of your kid. If they dont like it, tough shit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Same here.

Quoting faerie75:

My kids knew those words by then I just told them they weren't allowed to say them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cenedra64
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Well id rather my kids learn from me. I'm christian but i know my kids will be exposed to the world. I explain what cuss words mean and their origins. I also explain a more intellegent person will find more effective ways to communicate. It is inevitable kids will be hearing these words
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I was going to say this too. By that age kids have to live in the real world and know how to control their own language. My kids are 16&17 now and swear occasionally but they learned when it is appropriate and when it's not. I mean swearing when u drop something on ur foot =ok... swearing AT someone, =not ok

Quoting faerie75:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angie2568
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:09 AM

If any negative remarks are made about anyone or anything, cussing, inappropriate comments or hand gestures. I look at them and say I am sorry do not speak like that in front of me or my kids bc I am trying not to have negativity in our lives that is preventable which includes thoughts and comments out of mouths... Then smile and walk off...I am brutally honest!

I mean yes my kids have heard them and probably worse things but I want them to know yes the real world is out there - but that doesnt mean you have to listen to filthy language, or gossip or bad mouthing, complaining etc...

They know not to talk like that and at such young ages well two of mine 14 or 8 they just usually walk off and come tell me or say that they said something they didnt care to hear or be part of...lets hope that lasts throughout life.

SWells041585
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Idk, I ask people to watch their language as a general statement when I bring DDs around (mostly family they're not normally around). If you slip up, I have MASTERED the look of death lol and folks usually apologize. Then there are those who simply love dickheadedness & embrace it like NO other! To them, I say point blank, I DO NOT want my children exposed to such language so would you please watch your mouth. Otherwise I call the girls and say come on ladybugs! That's our cue to go!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)