Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

need advice from moms without jobs

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hello I am new to this site.  I am wanting to leave my husband but i don't know how to start.  i have no job, i am a student. my husband has become so agressive and angry over the last few months and I cannot take the verbal abuse anymore. it just keeps escalating and i am worried about my kids. Is there any way to get temporary assistance so i can get out? i have no idea how welfare or anything works.  please no negativety about asking about welfare.  i only need help til i can get a job. Thanks for any advice.

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not know, but here is a bump for you.  Good luck!

michiganmom5150
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM
4 moms liked this
Ok, first thing would be to contact a women's shelter. They would know resources to help you find housing, assistance for food and other bills, childcare, etc. Next, file for cs from your husband, that will help. Try to find cheap or free legal aid. I left an abusive relationship, thankfully no children with him! Good luck mama! Stay strong!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom5150
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM
I left my ex in the same situation, but I had family to help with a place to live and $ to fill for divorce(which I paid back). Took me 5 months to finish school and find work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
sex is not most important ..infect its not important at all .its a function like going bath room.only u can live wth out it.
Yesterday at 7:58 PM
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this
call ur local socail services and womens shelter .
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM
3 moms liked this

You have to seperate (I believe) before you can file for any type of assistance. Get to a shelter and they can help you from there. There is no need for negativity and you won't get any here when it comes to getting help from an abusive situation. I've been there, done that and refuse to go back. Call welfare and ask them what steps need to be taken to file and they will point you in the right direction. They are there to help those that need it.

banana56
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies!

kristiansmommy1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this
There should be domestic abuse hotlines in your area call them they know all the help you can get and can help you find shelter to get away...I know here they have scatter sites which are apartments all over the state for domestic abuse victims
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:05 PM
I agree with everyone else. Social Services, Legal Aid and shelters can point you in the right direction. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strngenough
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:42 PM
If you don't have money then you can get help with a lawyer too. Make sure you document everything he is doing. If you can get it on tape video/audio even better. Start a little take away fund on the side for a cushin. I'm one step past where you are. The breaking point for me was the thought I'd be telling my kid this is how relationships work. I was scared for the future, ok am most nights, but I'm also finally hopeful. Hope was something that was missing from my life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsLogansMommy
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM

In my area the YWCA would be the agency to call also try 211 they have a long data base of resources. Do you have friends or family you could stay with to get away from him until you get on your feet. How old are your children. There is a lot of assistance for single moms trying to better their situation the ones that come to mind are WIC (if you have kids under 5), TANF it stands for Temporary Aid for Need Families (it may be called something different in your area), Section 8 housing pays a good portion of your rent if you qualify but there is a very long waiting list I suggest trying to get on it now you never know by the time your name comes around you may still need it, Food Stamps (out here its called Cal Fresh), you can get help with child care costs if you want to go to school or work. Medi-Cal if you need health insurance for your children, oh and welfare will make you and help you file for CS so you wouldnt need to get a lawyer for that if you plan on applying for PA Thats all that comes to mind right now. Good Luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)