Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Introducing your Kid(s) to your new significant other

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 5:39 PM
  • 17 Replies

Poll

Question: How Long were you dating you new significant other before you introduced you kid or kids to them?

Options:

1-3 month

3-6 month

6-9 months

9-12 months

1+ years

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 12

View Results

I have just got back in to the dating world and i know when the time is right I'll know when i should introduce my daughter to my new boyfriend. But i wanted to here from you lovely mothers on how long you were dating your new significant other before you introduced your kid(s)

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:29 PM
2 moms liked this

youre going to hear a lot of "not for 6 months or a year" etc. personally i have always had friends of both genders, so they met a few people i dated casually but i just said they were my friend and was not affectionate around them.

also, i have had many friends come and go in life and my kids dont necessarily get that attached to people.

they met my SO after a few months but they were a bit older (12 and 16)

rvertiz
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Yea i asked a co work to see what he said but his kids were older too i still have a little one

Shaybay218
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:59 PM

agreed...you said it best

Quoting faerie75:

youre going to hear a lot of "not for 6 months or a year" etc. personally i have always had friends of both genders, so they met a few people i dated casually but i just said they were my friend and was not affectionate around them.

also, i have had many friends come and go in life and my kids dont necessarily get that attached to people.

they met my SO after a few months but they were a bit older (12 and 16)

MsGrayciesMommy
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Im really strict when it comes to stuff like that. ((My mom was always introducing us to new guys, and moving us in with them.)) My daughter is 2 and has only met one guy ive dated,and that was after we talked for a month,and were official for two months,even then it was just once for a couple hours.

I always say "kids have no place in adult relationships,good,bad,or otherwise."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cklamour
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:06 PM
I haven't dated in over a year. I'm no help lol

However, once I do, I would give it a few months before they meet. My son does get attached easily and I want to ensure some longevity before introducing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
motherhood is not a race..u can't outdo one another..u go go ur own speed.
Yesterday at 2:56 AM
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:11 PM
i say wen u feel time is wright.. after u know thae guy a wile.. after back group cheack,and u have talked wth some of his fam or friends..u can tell lot by the company some one keeps..after 6 -10 dates ..jmo..
animebuddy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:09 PM
I dated my bf for 8 or 9 months before introducing him to the kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleSw
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:11 PM

The kid won't notice. As long as you know they are trustworthy. They can't tell friends from SOs. I'm never affectionate around DD. We've been together 10 months now and I will still only hug around her lol

Jennyanne322
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:12 PM
I have been dating my bf for almost 2 months. He met my son last week. The last guy I dated that was worthy of meeting my son, met him after 6.5 months. He was a huge dick to my son. So I did it sooner this time. I didnt want to waste my time in a relationship, if he couldn't handle being around my son.
I have already met his parents and one brother before he even met my son.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alkbco
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM
I'm still struggling with this idk I don't agree with bringing your bf or gf around your kids until its serious my dad had a revolving door of women. But its hard to find time to date abd I do have a lot of make friends so I'm leaning towards the just not being affectionate in front of the kids and just introducing them as a friend. And not a lot just if I think I could really like them abd want to spend more time w them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)