Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Introducing your Kid(s) to your new significant other

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: How Long were you dating you new significant other before you introduced you kid or kids to them?

Options:

1-3 month

3-6 month

6-9 months

9-12 months

1+ years

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 12

View Results

I have just got back in to the dating world and i know when the time is right I'll know when i should introduce my daughter to my new boyfriend. But i wanted to here from you lovely mothers on how long you were dating your new significant other before you introduced your kid(s)

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 5:39 PM
Replies (11-17):
iHay
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Pretty much this, my son is only 5 though. He sees my brothers a few times a year so I see it as kind of the same thing.

Quoting faerie75:

youre going to hear a lot of "not for 6 months or a year" etc. personally i have always had friends of both genders, so they met a few people i dated casually but i just said they were my friend and was not affectionate around them.

also, i have had many friends come and go in life and my kids dont necessarily get that attached to people.

they met my SO after a few months but they were a bit older (12 and 16)

adulation
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I don't know how to vote because I was friends with my current SO for 3 years before we started dating! So Lila had already started meeting him before we were dating.  but i guess she met him about a year and half after I met him.

raegan1221
by Raegan on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM

8 mons

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Introducing then as a friend is cool... but a lot of women jump in to fast too soon. I would say 6-9 months before he stays over... yr+ before moving in together. I think the kids and the BF should meet early though in a casual/friend way... just to see if kids and him can even mesh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristiansmommy1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:55 PM
That's a good point, I've never thought about that...

Quoting Jennyanne322:

I have been dating my bf for almost 2 months. He met my son last week. The last guy I dated that was worthy of meeting my son, met him after 6.5 months. He was a huge dick to my son. So I did it sooner this time. I didnt want to waste my time in a relationship, if he couldn't handle being around my son.

I have already met his parents and one brother before he even met my son.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:59 AM

There is no time for me.  When it feels right it never helps to intro as friends and not show affection around the kids

uvallekm
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:41 AM

I always tell my kids who asked me out and who was interested in me. I never hide these things from my kids. I tell the guys that want to date me,  "I have 3 kids and if you have an issue with that then there is the door, but they come first" They are usually relieved that you were honest with them from the start! Introductions can come at anytime you feel or he feels he is ready! I do recommend to take it slow and get to know them before jumping right into introductions. It is like you said you will know when the right time is, you will feel it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)