Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Dinnertime

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:52 AM
  • 10 Replies
How do you get dinner on the table? I'm working mostly 9-5 shifts with 1 1-9. We've been eating out way too much cause by the time I've straightened the house, worked 8 hours, rounded up the kids, there's no time to cook or I'm just plain too tired and starving to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tyfry7496
by Janet on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Crockpot. Easy meals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlrachal1
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I live with my mom, who is retired, so I'm lucky in that she cooks for us. Before my split with my husband (who wouldn't know what to do in a kitchen to save his life), I was looking into freezer cooking and crock pot meals. Also, there are several books on 30 minute meals. It was hard to pick anything because stbxh is extremely picky. I've been researching these things again since I'll be getting my own place shortly after the new year (hopefully!). Look on pinterest, cook.com, moneysavingmom.com, etc. to get ideas. A lot of frugal living blogs have great and fast recipies. 

Hope this helps some!

Childofares
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I usually prepare meals beforehand so they are ready to pop into the oven or be heated up in a pan. We do a lot of raw eating in my house though so that makes it easier for veggies and fruits.  tonight I'm making tuna steaks. They are already seasoned, on a pan, and covered in foil for tonight. I did it last night after boy went to bed and I had had a chance to get off my feet for awhile. I also love my crockpot.

lydi
by Lydi on Sep. 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM

when i have time i make big batches of food (like home made mac and cheese or risottos or crockpot stuff) that last a few days and then i do a quick easy meal like chicken or other quick and easy meats, a frozen veggie that lasts a couple of days.  i also have a lot of precooked hamburger and frozen it so that i can just take it out, reheat it and use it for quick spaghetti or tacos.  and sometimes fiber 1 or whole grain waffles or pancakes and a fruit and veggie are my "lazy meal"

Zacknalexmom
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Well I work 7am-3pm so I just make quick and simple meals. If there's any leftovers we have them the next night. I can't afford to eat out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shaybay218
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Try quick and easy meals that can be stored for left overs...like spag, chicken and rice, hambuger helper, etc...

RoxieRoo
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I love my crockpot and I try to plan ahead.  For example, I put a roast in the crockport, shredded it and served French dips and then had shredded roast beef leftover to make hot roast beef sandwiches another night.  I also try to make meals ahead and freeze them like chili, mac and cheese, sauce, meatballs.  Quick and easy to pull out and heat up.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:43 PM
I cook as soon as I get home (about 520-530) eat around 630-7
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:43 PM
I cook as soon as I get home (about 520-530) eat around 630-7
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Sep. 22, 2012 at 2:48 AM
I cook a chicken at the beginning of the week freeze spaghetti sauce frozen veggies. I can usually get dinner on the table in 20min by doing the meat ahead of time frozen veggies are great too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)