Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Financial aid question

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM
  • 34 Replies
I've seen on cafemom a few posts about financial aid paying living expenses. How does that work? I would love to become a nurse. I'm currently working 2 jobs just to pay the bills, put gas in the car and feed myself and my 4 kids. There's nothing left over at the end of the month. I'd be willing to still work one job while going to school if I thoght fa would cover the rest. Another thing fa is one of my bills already.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladybugmom2010
by Joy on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:39 PM
I also would like to know!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dragonfly.1982
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Im a full time student and fa alone wont pay for school and living. This semester Im taking 3 classes bought books ($427) and got a fa refund of 243 bucks. People that live off fa tend to get students loans as well. There are student loans everyone qualify for and a person can get about 10grand a year and dont pay back till 6 months after graduation. Thats all I know if someone knows different Id sure like to know as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shudderette
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, those are probably getting loans as well. I've always gotten enough fa to pay fees and books and that's about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dragonfly.1982
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:59 PM
You can go to fasfa.com fill out the online form and see how much of a pell grant you qualify for. Pell never has to be paid back. Single mom 1 kid full time I get about 5grand a year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
queensweet
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM
I would not go for student loans. they are hard as hell to pay then off. trust me I know. You can check to see if your senators and delegates have their own scholarships. Your state should have nursing scholarships due to some areas having a nursing shortage. Also check with the FA departments of colleges and universities for additional details. If I were you I would go for the two year degree nursing degree first and then work to pay off some bills and build up some money for the four year degree. Healthcare majors are very hard and require A LOT of time and dedication. There isnt any room for having daycare issues either. I hope everything works out for you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
queensweet
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Oh yeah! I go for RN not LPN. they are trying hard to phase LPNs out. A lot of hospitals in states like MD and DC DONT hire them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wigglesmomma22
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I live off of my student loans and grants and scholarships.  But I also have the VA pay for my mortgage and tuition and books.  I don't work because I'm a single parent and I refuse to not see my daughter.  I'm in nursing school.  If you can find a way to do it, its very worth it, but incredibly difficult.  I only have one child and I don't work and I can't imagine working and having more children and doing well at it.  Nursing school by itself is a full time job.  It doens't hurt to fill out a fafsa just to see what you can get.  I also recommend going to your schools website to see what kind of scholarships you can apply for.  Those are free and clear on top of what you would get for financial aid.

kristinas8
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:58 PM
What is VA?

Quoting wigglesmomma22:

I live off of my student loans and grants and scholarships.  But I also have the VA pay for my mortgage and tuition and books.  I don't work because I'm a single parent and I refuse to not see my daughter.  I'm in nursing school.  If you can find a way to do it, its very worth it, but incredibly difficult.  I only have one child and I don't work and I can't imagine working and having more children and doing well at it.  Nursing school by itself is a full time job.  It doens't hurt to fill out a fafsa just to see what you can get.  I also recommend going to your schools website to see what kind of scholarships you can apply for.  Those are free and clear on top of what you would get for financial aid.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennifer_236
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I live off of my FA, Its  about 2777 for the fall I get 30 % in the begain then 70% in a bout a month

grneyedormom
by Kendra on Sep. 24, 2012 at 12:45 AM
She's a Veteran, the VA is the Veteran's Administration and she is using her VA benefits as a vet. Thank you for your service.

Quoting kristinas8:

What is VA?

Quoting wigglesmomma22:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)