Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just got a phone call from my 6 year olds Kindergarden teacher saying that hes one more write up from being suspended!!! My son is a very out going kid and very very energtic...very hard for him to be still unless hes doing something he wants to do...nomal child I thought...but he won't stay on his mat during rest time, he won't stay in his seat during class time...and now today on the playground him and another little boy was comparing their "wink wink" as my son calls his male stuff to each other...what am I going to do??? I'm at a loss...I done took away everything of his and told him he wasn't going to his pawpaw's on saturday like he always does cause he thinks the world of his pawpaw...nothing seems to work...they want me to put him on meds to chill him out but I really don't want to do the meds way cause I've seen how it effects kids and I don't want my son to be like that...PLEASE MOMS HELP ME!!! Has anybody else had this problem or something close...if so what did you do to fix it??? Cause I've done everything I can think of...HELP!!!

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Replies (31-31):
lissetteP
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 3:09 AM
1 mom liked this
preach on Sista!

Quoting MsLogansMommy:

I actually do have a child with severe ADHD (she was kicked out of I believe 3 preschools and suspended 4 times in Kindergarten) so although I can relate to your frustration Robsessed98 I have not medicated my child I am not saying there is anything wrong with medicating and I will never close the door on that option but up until now I have been able to deal with it (definitely challenging at times) without medicating her. So your reply to LissetteP wasnt quite accurate everyone is different and everyone parents different and you nor I have anyway to know how lissetteP would handle a child with ADHD we only know how we handle it and i'm certainly not saying I handle it any better than you just different.

I do think that the decision to medicate a child needs to be a decision made entirely by the parent and with the advice of a specially trained doctor the school has absolutely no business telling this parent to medicate her child especially if the child hasnt even been diagnosed with anything at this point. I would be livid if a teacher or anyone for that matter tried to tell me how to parent my daughter. It is their job to educate this child during the day if they cant handle it they shouldnt be in this profession and if the child is that out of control then the parent is already aware of this and hopefully is taking steps to help their child and those steps may or may not include medication. There are many other therapies to help in controlling the problem behaviors associated with ADHD.  

Quoting lissetteP:

Ooooo sassy....lol... OK mama I guess if I had a child with SEVERE hdha I probably would

Quoting Robsessed98:

I clearly stated it wasnt a popular opiion,, just mine. In MY experience with MY child it helped drastically and Ill have you know she is now grown and is NOT dependednt on any pills thank you very much. We practiced behavioral therapy as well You obviously never hada child that was that extreme in its behavior. Its a last resort granted, but how dare you suggest children with severe adhd grw up to be piill heads. Thats my child you are talking about, so shake your head in the direction of someone else like yourself that hasnt experienced it.

Quoting lissetteP:

their kids!!! kids like that are suppose to learn how to act right not give them pills so then they get older and they'll still be depending on a pill to act right..smh...that's just ridiculous

Quoting Robsessed98:

I think its time to talk to a behavioral therapist and the pediatrition for possible meds. I know thats not a popular answer nowadays but I still bellieve in it. Made a world of difference in my 6 y/o that acted just like that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)