Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

coming home from ex's smelling like.......

Posted by   + Show Post
Cigarettes... I'm not bashing smokers. I just quit 4 months ago. But when my children come home smelling like they have been locked in a car or place with tons of smoke that is ridiculous. I know I can't control what happens. But he is slowly killing the kids. I used to smoke sometimes with them in the car. But never ever in my house.

They reeked so bad that I gave them a bath. So they didn't get to bed right away like they need to. Oh and that the other thing. He has them Tuesday Wed and Thursday until 9. Does he bathe them?? Nope. I have to cuz he never does.

I am just annoyed that he isn't thinking about the kids. They are the whole reason why I quit!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 5:05 AM
Replies (11-20):
Teenmommy1119
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:31 AM
I think that's just Cali, in NJ you can do it. But OP are your kids asthmatic because of it?

Quoting CutieCrab:

I thought it is illegal to smoke in the car w/ minors present. Or maybe that's just in California.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommynac
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:43 AM

If you could get a written order from the doctor, why not take it to court?

Quoting a06z08mama:

Done it. Tried it. He just gets pissy. At their well child Las month I told them dad smokes around them. I told him he needs to stop. My kids are getting bronchitis AGAIN in two months because of his crap. (I know weather plays part too) but it would help if he quit! At least with the kids in the car and house!!!

Quoting KRIZZ25:

tell him the kids wen to the doc and he sayed "dont smoke around em"..get u some info on sec hand smike and give to ex.thats what i had to do .

a06z08mama
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:51 AM
DD had RSV when she was 8 months old. So she is very suspectible to getting bronchitis easily. Her dad knows this. Both cough. No actual asthma right now. But I do have to keep a running script for albuterol at the pharmacy for their Neb treatments.

Quoting Teenmommy1119:

I think that's just Cali, in NJ you can do it. But OP are your kids asthmatic because of it?

Quoting CutieCrab:

I thought it is illegal to smoke in the car w/ minors present. Or maybe that's just in California.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a06z08mama
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:52 AM
I may have to. This is just one of the many issues I having with him.

Quoting mommynac:

If you could get a written order from the doctor, why not take it to court?

Quoting a06z08mama:

Done it. Tried it. He just gets pissy. At their well child Las month I told them dad smokes around them. I told him he needs to stop. My kids are getting bronchitis AGAIN in two months because of his crap. (I know weather plays part too) but it would help if he quit! At least with the kids in the car and house!!!

Quoting KRIZZ25:

tell him the kids wen to the doc and he sayed "dont smoke around em"..get u some info on sec hand smike and give to ex.thats what i had to do .

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamalena137
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah I'd see about taking it to court. I mean he's hurting their health especially if they already use nebulizers. The doctor recently told me about third hand smoke. Basically it's when the smoke residue stays on surfaces like clothes, carpet, and even in the hair. They're studying the effects but are finding it's not good especially for kids. This man sounds like he doesn't know how to put his own children first. I had a teacher who's mom passed away from cancer caused by second hand smoke, of course this was in the 80s but come on we know so much more about the risks with smoking.

rae021
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM
Research suggest 3rd hand smoke is just as toxic. If you have a doctors note on file, and they are .physically getting sick its time to take it back to court. I found cig in my ex house and left with my dd. She has asthma. I have it court ordered, not only can they not smoke around her but she is only to be in places where smoking doesn't occur. He hasn't seen her in. Year, but if the occasion did arrive, is be back in court with choke.engagement charges bc exposing them to toxins is not just illegal but unfit parenting. Good .luck though its hard to prove. If you cab suggest home inspections, always record it on ur phone or something so u have documents. Poor babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steviechick
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I would talk to your atty about this.  Since the kids have asthma this is considered a life threatening issue now.  Second hand smoke and asthma?  That would be a red flag for health issues.  If anything you can stop visitation until your ex starts to smoke away from the kids. I would make sure that the doctor's have notes to give you to give to your atty so he/she can get a court order to change visitation rights. 

PaperClip811
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this

how selfish.. its sad that there's a need for laws to tell people not to fucking poison their kids. 

shmitts
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My BD won't smoke anywhere near our daughter. We don't agree on much anymore, but we do agree about her health. I think it's complete bull that a parent would chose a cigarette over a child's wellbeing. It's not like the costs are just in theory.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Ugh I'd be furious I used to smoke but never around my son
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)