Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Grants and Scholarships?

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM
  • 7 Replies
I was wondering if you ladies know of any scholarships or grants I could get aside from FAFSA. As of right now I don't have to pay anything until after I graduate, but during this journey I'm hittng a bad financial hardship and don't see it improving anytime soon. My kids dad has been fired for the second time in 7 months so I haven't been getting child support and the county can't help me until I can get back on my feet because so many people are on assistance. I need help with finances and the ending debt result. Any help or advice is much appreciated!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tyfry7496
by Janet on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
FAFSA is NOT any sort of grant or scholarship it is an APPLICATION to see what you MAY be eligible for in Pell grants and student loans. It is not a guarantee of anything.

Check out these 2 websites for BILLIONS in grants and scholarships. You have to spend time researching them but money is there. Some are needs based and some are not. Just follow the directions for each grant/scholarship.

www.fastweb.com
www.scholarship.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristy319
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Alright awesome! Thanks! I know I filled out the FAFSA form and have to pay x amount back, but not sure how that all works.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommysTimeOut5
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Wherever you are planning to attend school at then go make an appointment to go to their financial aid offices and see what scholarships or grants they have a list of.  Best of luck..... My salary is always half of what my total student loans are...so my degree was not even worth it. 

mommaJewels2011
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:30 PM
I'm really interested to see what people say here. I'm just taking out loans for what FAFSA doesn't cover but l'd much prefer scholarships
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Here's a bump for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by Janet on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Please read my reply and you'll learn a lot. FAFSA IS NOT MONEY!!!

Quoting mommaJewels2011:

I'm really interested to see what people say here. I'm just taking out loans for what FAFSA doesn't cover but l'd much prefer scholarships
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristy319
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 11:02 PM
I'm already attending school online and I'm to the point right now where I can't afford the gas to drive to the camous because its about 45 mins away. I've cut back so many luxeries (cable and such) just to be able to afford what I need to get by :(

Quoting MommysTimeOut5:

Wherever you are planning to attend school at then go make an appointment to go to their financial aid offices and see what scholarships or grants they have a list of.  Best of luck..... My salary is always half of what my total student loans are...so my degree was not even worth it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)