Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

do you leave your kids at daycare/ sitters...

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM
  • 45 Replies
Between work an school my dd is with sitter 6 days a week from 5 to 7 hours a day.... Ive done it alone since birth, no family help ... My question is do you think it's terrible parenting to send child to sitter just so you can have alone time? A co worker does it and I feel bad for her ds. I guess I'm just not at that point yet? I miss my dd terribly and feel guilty she is there to begin with....so ASAP I'm there to pick her up... I don't have any time without her and the rare occasion I did I worried dk much I didn't enjoy myself/left early.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:57 PM

No, I get my "me" time when my kiddo heads to her dad's or she gets special time with her Grandparents. I also offer to take my friend's kids who don't have the other parent or Grandparents around for a couple of hours so they can have time to themselves to rest, shower, do chores uninterrupted, go grocery shopping, etc.

Mocking.Jay
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I honestly would rather leave him in daycare if I had no classes that day and have some ME time than not get in that chance. But he goes to my campus's daycare so when the university closes/no classes, there is no daycare. Except for the winter when it's like 40+ below, then there will not be daycare because it's too cold to take your children out.

Serenitymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I would vary it. Most days I would pick them up for some special time then other days I'd have me time. Its good to have some balance. Maybe advising your coworker that if she felt terrible about it to do split it up?

Gina_C
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:42 PM
I work full time and many weeks it's over 45 hours. It's not so much that I feel bad he is there all day, I just miss him! It's been him and I from day one. My parents have watched him a few times but it's only if I have to work on a saturday or when I was in school. Other than that, he is always with me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM

My kids don't have to go to daycare too often because of school now. On ocassion I may have them wtih a sitter for a date night or a night with friends, but it is usually grandma and grandpa.

MsLogansMommy
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 11:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it is completely ok for a mom to want some "me" time and in fact can sometimes make her a better mom I need time to myself its not a want its a need just because I have a kid doesnt mean my needs no longer matter of course I put her first but I dont completely trash my needs thats not fair to me and also its not setting a good example to her

rae021
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:40 AM
I agree with you ladies, me personally I just don't have a good reason to utilize sitter in addition lol and I'm not ready I miss her.

On the other hand I think my co worker abuses it, I think you guys are right def need a balance....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:49 AM

When I used a sitter I was still married... now that I am single my daughter is old enough not to need a sitter. I have no guilty thoughts about having " me time" now or in the past. I do it all alone, ex lives in another state so I do look forward to her after school activities when I can get a little time to myself. Everyone needs "me time" does not make you a terrible parent, just need a break every once in a while to recharge... I honestly know it makes me a better parent !!!!

MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:10 AM
My son is in kindergarten now and is in the schools Childcare program. He's been in day care since he was a baby. I had no choice because of work. If I have a short day of work I take that opportunity to get some things done that I can't when I have my son with me. I don't feel guilty. I'm a busy person so may as well. I don't get a lot of "me" time. Heck I'd even get my nails done but most of the time I'd be running errands or cleaning if my son isn't around. A mothers work is never done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM
There are days when I take the afternoon off at work for mommy time and I pick him up at his normal time but its maybe once a month
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN