Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

do you leave your kids at daycare/ sitters...

Posted by   + Show Post
Between work an school my dd is with sitter 6 days a week from 5 to 7 hours a day.... Ive done it alone since birth, no family help ... My question is do you think it's terrible parenting to send child to sitter just so you can have alone time? A co worker does it and I feel bad for her ds. I guess I'm just not at that point yet? I miss my dd terribly and feel guilty she is there to begin with....so ASAP I'm there to pick her up... I don't have any time without her and the rare occasion I did I worried dk much I didn't enjoy myself/left early.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
owl0210
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:17 AM

No it's not terrible, there is nothing wrong with having alone time. I drop my son off at daycare on my days off when I have to run errands and get things done around the house.

PaperClip811
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM

eh.. I very very rarely left my son at daycare to do other things.. He was there basically 9 hours a day so I rushed home and got him, he never went when I took vacation time, I always kept him home and spent those days with him. I do remember one time I was soooo sick, spent 1/2 the day at work throwing up (my boss wouldnt let me leave unless I used vacation time and i was the only one there) finally about 3 o'clock he called and said I could go home, so I did, I set an alarm and passed out for about 2.5 hours then went  and got my son from daycare. 

BUT on the other hand-- I never had any mommy guilt about leaving him with my parents, most of the time the asked for the time with him, so I made plans. When he started going to his Dad's on weekends (after his 2nd birthday) I would plan stuff then, and tried not to plan anything that wasnt child-friendly on my weekends. If his dad had never stepped up though, I can guarantee I'd have still made time for myself somehow. 

NCISfan2003
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I don't find it terrible at all. Everyone deserves to have some time to themselves.

adulation
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:30 PM

everyone is different.   when Lila was in a montessori daycare she had to be there by 9am, until 3pm, so even if I was off or didn't go into work until late I still had to take her, and I could get things done or just catch up on rest during those times, so I see the appeal.

NananRaysmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM
I would never leave the kids at daycare longer than I am at work.. I may run by the store on the way to get them...but never for me time. My moms neighbors 20yr old daughter lives with her...gets daycare assistance for her baby...takes the baby all week...but only works part time. Its crappy...more so that she doesn't even pay for her own daycare.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mistakesglore
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I worked in the begining, outside of the home, I was lucky and able to take my oldest with me most days. My Aunt ran a home daycare and she went there when I couldnt. When I had my second daughter they both just went to my aunts, I never left them longer than needed. She closed her doors 12 years ago, so I opened a home daycare, so I could take care of them myself, I have had parents to all degrees, some bring their children and tell me they are going to work but actually go back home or one went to the beach! I dont mind the children being here. To help parents get in "me" time I have new years eve parties for the children and halloween parties where they get to dress up, this way both parents and children get to go out and have some fun, but away from eachother. Its actually good for the children. At least I think so..

victoriahearts
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I make me time for myself as well, on the rare occasion that my ex takes our son, I get time that way but I also make it a point to go out with friends and get some time by myself once a week, either I pay the nanny to stay longer or my parents /my ex's are happy to take him for an overnight during the weekend. He loves his grandparents and I get to relax and recharge a bit. My son now spend the majority of his time at school and 3 hours with the nanny after school before I come home from work. 

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM

um, no. i value alone time. my kids went and spent the night w my mom most weekends when they were younger.

wigglesmomma22
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I used to do that.  I didn't tell her babysitter that I was going back home to take a nap, but between work and my communite I was gone 50 hours a week.  I was with her dad, but we didn't live together and I never got a break away from her.  I needed that nap lol.  I tried not to do it every time I had a day off or something, but it definitely was the only way I could get some sanity.  Since then I've quit that job and I'm currently going back to school.  It's better and worse..I get to see her more, but I have alot of homework to do and sometimes I have to do in the evenings when she's home.  IDK what a good trade off is..

twinsnseptember
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:39 PM
Some moms need more alone time then others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)