Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you leave your kids at daycare/ sitters...

Posted by   + Show Post
Between work an school my dd is with sitter 6 days a week from 5 to 7 hours a day.... Ive done it alone since birth, no family help ... My question is do you think it's terrible parenting to send child to sitter just so you can have alone time? A co worker does it and I feel bad for her ds. I guess I'm just not at that point yet? I miss my dd terribly and feel guilty she is there to begin with....so ASAP I'm there to pick her up... I don't have any time without her and the rare occasion I did I worried dk much I didn't enjoy myself/left early.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Replies (21-30):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:41 PM
When my kids were in daycare, they were there about 10hours a day between work an commute time. If I had a random day off kids still went to daycare unless we had plans. Their dad and I lived in different states so I never got a break... plus I had to pay for that day even if they didn't go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meganne136
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I am with you there my SO wants me to leave my child w/ a babysitter after work so we can go out...while i know we need alone time they are only children once and then they grow up and have their own lives. When i was alone with my two oldest dd's i would  sometimes swing by the grocery store if i got off work early but there is really no point to doing that so you can have alone time when you are not going to enjoy yourself

mommycrissa
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I enjoy time alone sometimes. My DD is 6 and I leave her at home with a roommate to go out after bed. 

MissTuree
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I lived with my parents for 4 years so occasionally I would go out after he went to bed. (Once every couple of months). There were times here and there that my dad and brother would take him and do guy things (since there was no dad around they stepped into the shoes 100%) too, then my mom and I would go do whatever girl things we wanted. When we moved out on our own there came a point that he wanted a break from ME! lol He would ask to go to the drop off daycare in town, so I would drop him off for an hour and go get my nails done or something.

I think the biggest thing is moderation. I think many moms cross the line when they start putting their own needs and desires above their children.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Depends.... if you have childcare that's paid for by the state and you're alotted so many hours. Utilize them. I was allowed so many hours for studying and dammit I used those hours. If I didn't have to study (first week or two) sure I went and grabbed a cup of coffee and relaxed or whatever, but After that it was hitting the books and studying my ass off.... Any time in between was MY TIME. if I had off time between class and work and it was 1-2 hours my sitter would take the boys off the clock but would still watch them because she was a friend of mine.... I would have me time. My boys would hang out with her sons and what not.

NewMama28
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I get my me time when she goes to her dad's every other weekend. The first...ohhh few hours is great. But after..I REALLY feel like my house is EMPTY and I miss my kiddo terribly. My home doesn't feel like HOME when my kiddo's not there. Boo.

During the work week I have family that watches my kiddo while I'm working. My dad currently stays over from Sunday - Thursday Morning b/c his car broke down and so I pick him up and he stays over to watch my dd. It's really great, and I appreciate it IMMENSELY. My auntie watches her Thursdays (I drop my dad back off at his home Thursday morning since he lives close by my auntie/uncle.) and currently her dad and I are figuring out what to do about Friday's since my mom flaked out on me (a whole different story.) I've been working from home/taking kiddo to work with me for the past couple of weeks.... but its definitely not something that I can continue doing long term. Anyway, I understand how you feel about missing your kiddo. I do too. I'm always rushing to get home! lol. Especially since you're doing it without family; I give you props lady! It's super tough!  

Krystle21
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 5:29 PM
On my days off I still bring my kids to Daycare. Most times it's not me time bc I'm running errands .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

lol i must be cold. when i got time off i was peeling out on two wheels and enjoyed it the whole time.

Lauren326
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:32 AM

My kids are at daycare 10 1/2 hours a day, 5 days a week.  I get my "me" time when they are sleeping.  I try to enjoy every moment I have with them since I get so few.  I think that if having some "me" time will help make you a happier mommy, then it's worth it. 

kavp84
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Sometimes I send my youngest two to daycare while I go out of town or something. People can look down on me all they want, I never get alone time because my two oldest never see their dad and my two youngest's dad is dead. So I'm aaaaaalways with 4 kids, unless I'm at school. (And lets face it, school isn't exactly the most relaxing!) I'm a firm believer in good mental health for parents, because if the caregiver isn't healthy, the children won't be healthy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)