Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

stressed to tears

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM
  • 7 Replies

From the day I found out I was pregnant I have changed my life for my baby. I went back to school and got my HS diploma, quit smoking, and made money in every way I could. Even though the only work I found was working from home selling Avon, I scraped together every penny I could find to pay for my daughter's things. I planned on getting medi-cal and WIC when she was born to help pay for food and her health insurance. However, since I live with my parents and I don't pay rent, they denied all my applications. Addison was born last week and Sunday was the last day she was insured on my health plan. Just thinking about how I will never have enough to pay for her to have health coverage makes my heart break and the tears don't stop coming.

I feel like I have explored every outlet to find a job, yet still no one will even give me an interview. Every time I need formula, wipes, diapers, or anything for Addie, I reluctantly feel cornered to ask my parents for help. I feel deflated and exhausted from searching for a health plan that I could pay for long enough for a few months until I can at least have time to job search and hopefully start work.

Any advice or experience from other single moms on how they got through financially would be appreciated.

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SinceresMomma
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a little weekend job so I was able to get Wic and government health insurance for my son but I qualify for nothing else since I still live with my mom.. Thankfully I have a supportive family so they help me out big time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tinky_00
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM
You should check with the state again on ins. What state do u live in?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AddiesMom93
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I live in california. I don't know what ins is?

allprinces
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM
If you work at walmart you can enroll in their health plan. Here in Va one of the plans is Kaiser Permanente and it's only like $13.00 taken of of your check every two weeks. Good luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Emiliush
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I'm on the same boat as you.. though, my parents want to pay [even though i tell her "No, it's my kid!] and they buys things for my son without me asking.

I have a job though! WIC helps alot too

i thought the medicaid should cover your daughter, maybe that's only in georgia though.

kisses_725
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Look at getting child support...if you cant afford a lawyer go to office of recovery services and they will set a rate that can go up or down and start garnishing his wages.  you have tried to go to DWS for help department of workforce services.... I hate to say it but you can always lie that you do pay rent, I told them i cleaned house during the days to pay for rent with my mother.  Always check out the foodbanks, some of them can help with diapers and wipes as well.  this might seem pathetic put, collect cans and turn them in a lady here in town goes to every gas station and will dig slightly through the garbage can to get them.  She isnt in need of money but she donates it all to the school, but you could try that.  If i really needed money i would do it to.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:56 AM
In CA your child will qualify for medi-cal. Evenif you live with your parents .

Quoting AddiesMom93:

I live in california. I don't know what ins is?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN