Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

SPARE THE ROD SPOIL THE CHILD

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:14 PM
  • 11 Replies

MY BOYFRIEND AND I WERE JUST ON THE FONE TALKING AND MY SON DIDN'T WANT TO GO TO SLEEP...HE SAYS SPANK HIM!

Seriously though?! Granted I have given my son a pop on the hand every once in a while, but spank him because he won't go to sleep has got to be the most sorry excuse to control your child.

I do not believe in using a belt or ANY type of object to discipline my child. I've even been trying to control myself popping him. As an adult and educator myself, I think it is ridiculous for an adult to lose their composure and hit a child who is a thrid the size of you.

the thought of marrying him has so gone out the window...How is it okay to hit a child and "not hit a woman because women deserve respect"?<<<his words Children deserve respect too and if they respect their parents it wouldnt even get to that!

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Refurbished
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:23 PM
8 moms liked this

Many people believe that bible verse means a shepherd's rod.  In biblical times, shepherds would use the "rod" (think the thing Little Bow Peep holds) and used it to guide sheep.  The would use it to block the sheep from walking the wrong way, guide the herd towards water and food, and when a sheep would wander too far away, the shepherd used the hook at the end to grab the sheep by the neck and pull it back to the herd.  This analogy makes sense to me as far as parenting goes.  Our job as parents are to guide them to adulthood.  I don't think the bible literally means taking a rod and beating a child with it. 

MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Spanking isn't a punishment meant to use for everything. Spankings should be left as a last resort if a child is absolutely out of hand disrespectful. That bible verse does not mean you must spank your child. If you read it in context it explains we must discipline and correct our children. We can discipline through many means. When my son won't sleep I pray with him and settle him down. If all else fails I turn every light off in the house. That's not a punishable offense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashanya
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:27 PM
I have never been beat a day in my life and I have grown up to respect my mother. I do not fear her nor do I want my child to fear me. I used the quote spare the rod because I know it means do not hit them. I just believe that hitting is too temporary. However I do believe in consequences and rewards I will take things away until you are sleeping in an empty room with a mattress on the floor befor I decide to inflict pain on my child I am an adult and have more control over my actions than a child does
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NananRaysmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Does he have kids?? Maybe he doesn't kno how to dicipline children...but to no longer want to marry him over it seems excessive. Its not like he hit him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gina_C
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM
I agree with spanking your kid, when that is the correct discipline. But you can't force a child to sleep lol. Make them stay in bed? Sure.

There are many different kinds of discipline. Seems like most people equate discipline with physical punishment. Not sure why
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTuree
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I am not completely against spanking, but there is a time and reason for something that drastic. And I would NEVER use an object to hit with, it is an open hand on the behind (or the hand in the case of trying to touch a stove).

I think most parents spank out of frustration and that is the worst possible time to do it. To inflict harm upon a child because you as an adult can't control your emotions is completely unacceptable.

In other words, I pretty much agree with you. And I understand rethinking a future with a man that would think that way.

tyfry7496
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I am completely against spanking so that would be a deal breaker. I see NO reason whatsoever to spank a child. It's our job as parents to TEACH our children how to act appropriately. I dont' consider hurting or striking others to be an appropriate way to act.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM

He did not sayto Hit your son.  I like the first responders reply she said it well.

Bluerivergirl
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:39 AM

OK.   Spanking = hitting.  Hitting ANYONE other than your child is a FELONY offense in all states in this country.  And to do that to a defenceless human being, whom you love more than life?   Just doesn't make any kind of sense to me. 

If your instinct is telling you run, then run woman!   Trust yourself. 

luvlexi

alkbco
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:39 AM
I don't think you should spank a child for not going to sleep. But I do think that sometimes kids do deserve a spanking. But never with anything other than your hand. I got spankings growing up did I like it? No. did I listen yes. And I also knew they never did it unless I deserved it and never any harder than to really just hurt my feelings. But it was also rare and in extreme situations. But some people were brought up getting serious whoopings and maybe he was one of those and doesn't know any better try talking to him about it before making any big decisions
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN