Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Deciding who gets ds on the holidays

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:55 PM
  • 14 Replies

Me and my ex are trying to decide who gets ds on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I was thinking spliting each holiday between the both of us because I am not willing to give up a holiday with my son. Holidays have always been a big deal for me and my family and it is important to me to spend them with ds and my family. My ex has always hated holidays and never celebrated any of them but now he wants him on Thanksgiving and Christmas so I'm trying to figure out something fair for the both of us.

How do you do holidays with your child(ren) and your ex?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lurion
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Rotate major holidays each year. 

PaperClip811
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Rotate. It sucks to miss out but works the best so that the holiday(s) I get are completely mine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIMIBRIE
by Jayme on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Rotate and switch every year..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Most people rotate. In my family we made a made up holiday that we could celebrate together every year and then did the real holiday with whoever had us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:20 PM

We rotate... well, let me rephrase.  My kids' dad knows I love Thanksgiving so he gave up the rights to that one.  As for Christmas, if he's in town this year he'll get them Christmas Eve, they'll spend the night and open gifts with him and then come home to me for the day.  Last year it was the other way around.  We do it this way so that my oldest son can participate in the holiday with them as well since he's with his own dad on Christmas Eve every year.

Junip1977
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM

My ex comes to our house for all the major holidays.  We get along pretty well though.  We do this so that the kids don't have to give up either parent on the holiday and it seems to work so far!

sid1083
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I have them for every holiday, every year.

MommyJ888
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:02 PM

We split the day. I get them the day before holiday and day of holiday until 2pm. Then he gets them from 2pm Holiday and day after.

devynsmommy09
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

How about this...whoever went through the most pain during labor gets the kid for the holidays :)

How far away does he live?  When my ex was actually still interested in parenting, we tried to do a half and half thing.  I get him in the morning (my fam is military we do EVERYTHING early) and he gets him in the afternoon/evening.  If I'm feeling generous, I might even let him spend the night over there. 

Good luck!  Its tough splitting holidays.

Blessed_Mommy87
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I rotate with mine. My ex wasn't in their life last year and did not want to see them even during holidays but he fianlly came around and I told him to be fair this year he can have them and next year will be me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)