Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

can't figure out What to do.

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM
  • 9 Replies
Im at a brick wall and i have no idea what to do for my kids and myself. We came to Atlanta a week ago and nothing has gone as planned. I still haven't received their social security check. And Im getting the run around. And really tired of people talking to me like i don't do anything to get what i need. I have no car and don't really know my way around here and zero dollars to get on the over priced bus system you have here. I kinda want to go back to California or Texas. I told myself i will work it out here. But to no avail, we have to be out of the hotel room tomorrow. I thought about going to the shelter out here But some guy told me the bus does not run on Sundays... Go figure. Feeling i should just quit. No call backs on jobs and my friend can no long help me. Any suggestions?
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
PaperClip811
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Well.. in hindsght moving without a plan was probaby not the wisest. At this point could you even afford to get back to Texas or California? Id do what you need to do to get somewhere where you have some support and a way to get on your feet.. Sorry things arent working out :-/

queensweet
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM
The best thing I can tell you is to pray. Then try to get to the closest church or other religious organization to ask for assistance getting back to where you came from or to the closest family shelter. If you decide to stay in ATL, you might want to get a p.o. box for your check to. Also georgians have a reputation for helping out there fellow man. So dont be afraid to ask some of the locals about the resources there. If you dont mind me asking, what prompted you to move? Did you have a game plan & it fell apart?
uniquemomx2
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:25 PM
I honestly can't afford anything. I've been to every assistance place united way and churches have sent me too. The plan that i had fell through farther and faster than a black hole.
happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM
I live in Atlanta.

The marta system isn't the greatest but it works and is far from over priced.

As far as getting some help I see you have been the united way and some churches, have you tried the y? Or the red cross?

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time.

Peachtree street united Methodist church is hiring an assistant children's minister and something else. they start off paying $13 an hour.

Also there is another church hiring for a pre school teacher. I can't remember the name but I can get it for you if you would like.

Delta is also hiring, go to the library and full out an app online. I know they have ramp positions open. you will have to work outside but its a job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Call 211 for further assistance and tell them exactly what you need, places to stay, food, etc.. Call your family and ask them to help you out. If its a move back, surely they will want to help you.

uniquemomx2
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:51 PM
Do you know where the library is around i think this is marietta? I honestly do not know where this is. My friend said something about delk rd and the Hwy 75. I moved here to get help with my boys. Its hard to maintain a job with their disabilities and having to take off to go to doctors appointments. Ill try those places to see if i can get a position there. This has to be the worst move i made in a very long time. I don't regret it but i wishing never did it.
uniquemomx2
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:55 PM
I also don't have family. They decided to have nothing to do with us along time ago. And Im ok with it. They aren't the most positive outlook type of people. I won't get into that. Ill definitely check the church thing out. I have to check out at noon here. Im pretty sure someone will point me in the direction to walk too.
happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Marietta....hmmm. I have a friend that
Lives up there but I live on the other side by the airport.

Try looking into positions at locutenems.com. they are located in Marietta. they pay well as well. Im not sure if they have any openings though.

I have no idea where a local library is up there. the closest one I know of by you is off ponce but thats still a ways away.

Have you checked the local paper for jobs etc?

I'm not sure if you are trying to stay intthat area but I used to live in decatur. I rented a 2 bed condo for about $700 month. I could walk to work and daycare and the grocery store. It was a great location.

Quoting uniquemomx2:

Do you know where the library is around i think this is marietta? I honestly do not know where this is. My friend said something about delk rd and the Hwy 75. I moved here to get help with my boys. Its hard to maintain a job with their disabilities and having to take off to go to doctors appointments. Ill try those places to see if i can get a position there. This has to be the worst move i made in a very long time. I don't regret it but i wishing never did it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PINKmyfavcolor
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Exactly. There is help and there are jobs out there - maybe not what you want, but something to get you started and off the streets.

Quoting happymommy1105:

I live in Atlanta.

The marta system isn't the greatest but it works and is far from over priced.

As far as getting some help I see you have been the united way and some churches, have you tried the y? Or the red cross?

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time.

Peachtree street united Methodist church is hiring an assistant children's minister and something else. they start off paying $13 an hour.

Also there is another church hiring for a pre school teacher. I can't remember the name but I can get it for you if you would like.

Delta is also hiring, go to the library and full out an app online. I know they have ramp positions open. you will have to work outside but its a job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)