Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms
Please don't get me wrong I love my daughter more than the world but I sit here at home watching Disney channel I think how would my life be different if I waited to have sex. Would I be in a 4 year college? Would I have more friends? Would I get to be a normal teenager? What would have been my relationship with my daughters dad? I don't know why I am thinking this because I love my daughter more then anything, I would rather have her then be out. Maybe it's because I am having a challenging time with all that's been going on. I don't like living back at home and getting no space and my daughter is still having a challenging time with being away from her father.

Wow I didn't think my post would be so popular.Please don't get me wrong I love my little girl with all my heart and the thoughts I have aren't going to change how much I love her. Another thing my daughter is 4 so I have been a mom for a while however I am new to the single mommy life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Replies (231-240):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:46 PM

im not her, but that degree results in a low paying job. even lower than public school teachers. it is offered with the certificates adn degrees that welfare to work will pay for, along with cna. (also a low paying job) most people choose that line of work because they are passionate about it or to stay with their kid during the day. i wouldnt recommend the latter becuase your kid will get older and you will still not be earning much.

Quoting Mia1983:

Sorry to get off , but why do you say early childhood is useless? Just curious because i know a few people going for it.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

You can still go to school. I'm 29, a mom of 2, and I go to the University of Illinois. That isn't just a 4 year school, that is a GOOD school. 

Let your baby get a little older and on a more stable schedule. Take advantage of the doors that have opened for you. Start your school career online, but at a state school. Go to community college online. (Don't get scammed into a university of online only overpriced crap) 

It doesn't matter what your highschool GPA was. Get a 3.0 in community college and you can transfer to some state college, even if its not a top college, and finish your degree. Most everywhere offers the useless early childhood education degree so its quite likely you will find on-campus childcare even at smaller schools.

Your baby OPENED doors for you. Yes, you can't have the "so drunk I don't know how I got this degree" experience, but you can attend college (online, nights, weekends) while working and make a great life for you and baby.

erinmomofone
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Well that's what I want to do I rather do early ed because I am so passionate about it. I want to open my own daycare.I might go and major with elementary ed.

Quoting faerie75:

im not her, but that degree results in a low paying job. even lower than public school teachers. it is offered with the certificates adn degrees that welfare to work will pay for, along with cna. (also a low paying job) most people choose that line of work because they are passionate about it or to stay with their kid during the day. i wouldnt recommend the latter becuase your kid will get older and you will still not be earning much.

Quoting Mia1983:

Sorry to get off , but why do you say early childhood is useless? Just curious because i know a few people going for it.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

You can still go to school. I'm 29, a mom of 2, and I go to the University of Illinois. That isn't just a 4 year school, that is a GOOD school. 

Let your baby get a little older and on a more stable schedule. Take advantage of the doors that have opened for you. Start your school career online, but at a state school. Go to community college online. (Don't get scammed into a university of online only overpriced crap) 

It doesn't matter what your highschool GPA was. Get a 3.0 in community college and you can transfer to some state college, even if its not a top college, and finish your degree. Most everywhere offers the useless early childhood education degree so its quite likely you will find on-campus childcare even at smaller schools.

Your baby OPENED doors for you. Yes, you can't have the "so drunk I don't know how I got this degree" experience, but you can attend college (online, nights, weekends) while working and make a great life for you and baby.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinmomofone
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:55 PM
I didn't even notice her saying that.

Quoting faerie75:

Quoting Mia1983:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinmomofone
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM
I didn't even notice that she said that lol.

Quoting Mia1983:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM

What can you do with it that will pay you over 30k a year?

It is not an ideal choice for teachers. It is not an ideal choice for any field. EC degrees exist mostly for daycare centers, and again, the cost of a bachelors isn't worth it to work at a daycare for $10/hr. 

EC is one of those degrees like photography, piano, and acting careers. Yeah, you have a degree, but its not a degree that you need to work in your field nor will it get you ahead.

I'd love to have a degree in English and would love to take years upon years of English courses. I would love to get my PhD, but the only field I could stand that much schooling for is English. What could I do with the degree though? NOTHING. I could teach. That's about it. So I went for business instead, because at least with a business degree I can get a job that will actually pay me more than McDonalds.

I just don't see the value in getting a degree in a field where your income is capped at $30k for life. Being "happy" is great, but surely your friends could get a degree in something that would make them both happy and able to afford to buy groceries and pay their electric bill in the same month!

Quoting Mia1983:

ea
Quoting illinoismommy83:

erinmomofone
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM
Well thanks glad you appricate what I want to do with my life. I'll just go to school for something I don't enjoy and go to work everyday sick of it.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

It is not an ideal choice for teachers. It is not an ideal choice for any field. EC degrees exist mostly for daycare centers, and again, the cost of a bachelors isn't worth it to work at a daycare for $10/hr. 

EC is one of those degrees like photography, piano, and acting careers. Yeah, you have a degree, but its not a degree that you need to work in your field nor will it get you ahead.

I'd love to have a degree in English and would love to take years upon years of English courses. I would love to get my PhD, but the only field I could stand that much schooling for is English. What could I do with the degree though? NOTHING. I could teach. That's about it. So I went for business instead, because at least with a business degree I can get a job that will actually pay me more than McDonalds.

I just don't see the value in getting a degree in a field where your income is capped at $30k for life. Being "happy" is great, but surely your friends could get a degree in something that would make them both happy and able to afford to buy groceries and pay their electric bill in the same month!

Quoting Mia1983:

ea
Quoting illinoismommy83:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I have never had a job for the reason of enjoying working. It is called work for a reason. I work to pay bills and feed my kids. Work is 40 hours of your week and your family is the other 128 hours. You spend less than a quarter of your life at work, so you may as well make money so your family can be happy.

I would never be happy in my dream job.... if I had to take the bus to work and spend my entire life with my kids living in a bad neighborhood and in bad schools. My dream is for my kids to have all of the happiness I can give them, even if it means I will be a mindless drone at an office pulling in the money my kids need.

Quoting erinmomofone:

Well thanks glad you appricate what I want to do with my life. I'll just go to school for something I don't enjoy and go to work everyday sick of it.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Quoting Mia1983:

ea
Quoting illinoismommy83:

erinmomofone
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM
What ever you think you can do your job and I'll do mine. I am just fine providing for my daughter and my daughter won't be going to bad school!

Quoting illinoismommy83:

I have never had a job for the reason of enjoying working. It is called work for a reason. I work to pay bills and feed my kids. Work is 40 hours of your week and your family is the other 128 hours. You spend less than a quarter of your life at work, so you may as well make money so your family can be happy.

I would never be happy in my dream job.... if I had to take the bus to work and spend my entire life with my kids living in a bad neighborhood and in bad schools. My dream is for my kids to have all of the happiness I can give them, even if it means I will be a mindless drone at an office pulling in the money my kids need.

Quoting erinmomofone:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Quoting Mia1983:

ea
Quoting illinoismommy83:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hurricane37
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 6:32 PM

You keep saying you love your daughter with all your heart over and over. I hope you are not trying to convince yourself or trying to make yourself feel like you're not burdened. Dont let yourself feel that way because your child did not ask to be born. She deserves your love because you chose to have unprotected sex and bring her into this world. It doesnt matter what everyone else is doing, you're a mother, and that is better than anything that they are doing.

erinmomofone
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM
So your saying I don't love my daughter? I love her and do everything for her. This post was when I was having a difficult time but I am trying To stay positive for her.

Quoting hurricane37:

You keep saying you love your daughter with all your heart over and over. I hope you are not trying to convince yourself or trying to make yourself feel like you're not burdened. Dont let yourself feel that way because your child did not ask to be born. She deserves your love because you chose to have unprotected sex and bring her into this world. It doesnt matter what everyone else is doing, you're a mother, and that is better than anything that they are doing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN