Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I hate that I'm so tight with money sometimes....

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM
  • 7 Replies

I can't decide if I am going to pay for the Ancestry.com DNA test. I finally got my invitation and it expires in 2 days. I have so been looking forward to this but now that the decision is upon me, I can't quite talk myself into spending the money. The pricing for it is........... nonsensical. Okay, if I already had a paid membership the test would be $99. Since I do not, the test is $179. But wait, there is a 3rd option. I can get the test AND six month paid membership for $175. wtf I know right? I have two days, four hours, fifty minutes to make up my mind. GO!

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
aj23
by Amanda on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
There is no way Id pay that kind of money unless there was a strong valid reason like needing to prove a family relationship.
I think Ancestry.com is way overpriced anyways. Its neat and all but I could list hundreds of things to spend the money on that would make more sense and that I would get more pleasure from.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rae021
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Are you looking for someone?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mhaney03
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM
I've been doing my tree for many years. Recently discovered I'm very distantly related to George bush lol. I've hit some brick walls with my matherne line and Cortez line... And loupe ..... I've pretty much gone as far as I can on most lines. I'm hoping this will break a few walls down by linking me with unknown relatives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Seems kinda pricy I guess if its something that means a lot to you do the membership and test
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sid1083
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM
I wouldn't pay for it, but that's also not my thing. If its something you've been looking forward to for a long time, just do it (and make the most of that 6 month membership).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PaperClip811
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Seems like you've put a lot of time and effort into it. If it's something you really want, and it's not going to push actual bills back to spend the $$ then dont feel bad about it. Some hobbies are more expensive than others :o) but you'll have 6 months to work on it without another dime... that's just barely over $12/ mo after you take out the price for the test :o)

Robsessed98
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:26 AM
Cant you choose your own lab to run it? I know theres other labs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)