Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Advice...again!

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM
  • 5 Replies

Thank you to everyone who responded to my other post! 

Here is my situtation, I work 3am to 11:30am 5 days a week. As of right now my son's father has him 4 days and i have him 3. This was suppose to be going on until i could get better working hours. Last week my boss informed me that there is a possiblity that i may get a 9 to 5. My question is if I go to court and try to get my son stay with me and have the father visit on the weekends will i get it?(there is nothing on paper now) I trusted him and we agreed that when i get better hours things would change but now that he has meet someone he wants to make it a little"family" and try to give me a couple of days only.  I'm so sad and angry but i cant complain now I have to take action. Oh and if it helps he does take care of him but it is I who: takes him to the doctor, goes to parent/teacher meetings, sign him up for school etc.. I/m sick to my tummy just thinking I cant have my son. 

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Greenemommy
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:29 PM

BUMP!

Reina13
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Is this legally your current custody arrangement? If not, then I would go to a family advocate or mediator and have an agreement hammered out.

PaperClip811
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM

how long have you had this arrangement? It's likely that if this is the precident that's been set, and what the child is accustomed to, that you would still end up with some type of split custody. Maybe something more 50/50 than you currently have (so you would get more time) but it's unlikely they woul decrease the time with his father to less than 50%

steviechick
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM

If this is a verbal agreement and not in writing then I would definately make this an agreement in writing since your hours are changing.  Not sure if you used a mediator for your break-up or are only separated.  If anything you need to make sure that this agreement is in writing.  Most of the time the mother takes full custody of the child IF the father isn't suited enough to have full custody.  Sometimes 50/50 split is agreed upon if both parents can agree to or prove to the courts that they are both fit to be custodial shared guardians.  Don't get a verbal agreement with the ex.  Make sure you are able to care for your son moreso then your ex.  Since he's moved on and has a gf and wants to more than likely marry her, I would think that has nothing to gain for your ex.  He's the father and she will be the step-mom.  Don't worry about losing your son to a 'family'.  You are his mother and his his father is his 'family'.  His father has found a gf if anything else.

Greenemommy
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:26 PM
No nothing is on paper we are not even legally divorced
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN