Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms
I'm looking for ways to save money as i am the o.ly income.. No child support help. I figured out a cpl things i cld do and now i have considered moving to help. I could save at least an extra 75 dollars if i move.

Reasoning?:

1) current landlord is shady. She 'lost' a money order months ago then started demanding i pay her cash to reimburse her.. But she gt the check re-issued. She has been pissy ever since because i refused and got the owner involved.
2) i will be saving at least 75 dollars each month.

Downside?:
1) i like the house i rent. Huge yard (fenced), washer dryer hook ups, dishwasher, im allowed to have my cat, garage...
2) i wanted to move to the town i work in, also where my sitter atm lives and where dd goes to school. The one rental there is overseen by my current landlord.
3) i will have to move to an apartment.. In the town im currently in. I do NOT miss apt living. I will have to store my washer/dryer someplace again. :/

So.. What say you? Tough it out here another 6mons or get out and save a few bucks and some sanity??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Replies (11-18):
PaperClip811
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Will you be storing the washer because they dont have hook ups, or because they provide the washer? 

Personally I think having a house instead of an apartment is worth the $75. I'd also consder the cost of moving and how long you will have to stay at the apartment before you even start to save that money... EX: if it cost you $900 in deposits and moving expenses it will take you an entire year to "break even" on the move before you're really saving that $75 a month. 

deltathree
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I agree - doesn't seem worth it hun.  GL w/ whatever you decide.

m2b8609
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM

does the town home have washing machines in them or do you have to pay coin laundry? i hate spending 3$ a load to do laundry wash and dry.... it adds up over time... id say stay and deal with it for 75

TexanMomOf6
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM

It might be more practical to try to reduce other expenses than to move. I spent some time on line comparing prices on vehicle insurance. Saved almost 40% and got more coverage too! The best deal wasn't on the comparison websites, I had to go directly to individual sites. If you have cable, get only basic, or even shut it off. Making a menu and grocery list and sticking to it will help. Coupons are great too. If you are making credit card payments, some companies will negotiate a lower interest rate. Ceiling fans are cheaper to run that a/c or heat. If you can't pay cash, don't buy it. At those rental places you pay double what you would pay if you paid cash. You will be surprised how much you could trim from your budget.

Before any new purchase, ask yourself "Is this a need or a want?"  Be honest.  

It may be a good idea to have a witness when you pay the landlord and get a handwritten SIGNED reciept every month. Put it in a safe place for when she gives you a hard time. If there's an issue, send her copies of the receipts NOT THE ORIGINALS!!!!!  (Been there, Done that!)

Robsessed98
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:37 PM
If youll only be saving $75 I dont see the point, because storage building rent will eat that right up. Id stick it out for 6 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom5150
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:10 PM
It's a lot of trouble for $500 bucks. Also, it costs $ to move...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SourRoses
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:16 PM

on a budget 75$ is a lot of savings, however moving and everything that goes along with moving might outweigh what you are really saving. i would stick it out were you are, and pay the landlord by check. that way it can be traced to your bank account when ever she claims she lost it. if it was cashed you will have proof of when and the check number, she will have nothing to say with that type of proof. nothing that would stand up with the law anyway.

ms.sophsmom
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:27 PM
It really doesnt coste.much to move. Ive moved several times in the last few years. I ONLY pay landlord by check, i always keep my stub tht comes with the check because landlord is convieniently "out"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN