Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

"Wheres my daddy?"

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM
  • 3 Replies

Ok my son is almost 5 and autistic (High functioning) he is extremely smart.  He has been really asking about his dad lately.  His dad doesnt come to see him, but if we happen to see him at his work he likes to act like father of the year and do the whole daddy loves you blah blah blah but he NEVER comes to see him or call to check on him he always has an excuse, oh ive been sick, oh im so tired. He has another child thats younger than mine that he shares custody with and keeps on his days off . He has came to see my son one time in a year and that was to drop of a present his sister bought my son.  Anyways Im trying to figure out what to say to him, he is really smart like I said but I also have to remember hes only 4. Ive told him some kids have only mommies hes still keeps on.  i said well you have a mimi and tan tan (my mom and aunt) and some kids dont.  Not all families are the same- he still keeps on asking. 

Photobucket
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jonnlilithsmom
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

tell him as much of the truth as you can...

his dad loves him, but is really not very grown up, and has his priorities mixed up, and that is just the way it is...

use the words that your little one understands, of course, but gentle truth now is better than any kind of white lie that will be found out later in life... from personal experience, I can tell you, they figure it out on their own eventually, and often feel betrayed if they were lied to

aLBa87
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. My duaghter was 8months when her dad passed away. Now that shes 2 1/2 she sees pther kids with their dads and asks me constatly where her daddy is, and I tell her that her daddy is in heaven and he is watching over her. That he loved her but couldnt stay here with her. As much as it hurts to tell them the truth, I feel.like it empowers them if and when another kid asks them. My daughter proudly says that she does have a daddy but hes in heaven. I know our situations are different but the truth is best. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:23 PM
Just tell him you dont know where he is but that wherever he is, hes still loving him. Next time yall see him, tell your son to ask daddy the question.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN