Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I'm getting so discouraged :(

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:07 AM
  • 9 Replies
I had to sell my car in July to pay my rent since my hours had been cut, then I had to quit because between my car and having no one to get my son on the bus in the morning I had no choice. So now I have no car and no job, i look and look and can't find any jobs within walking distance and his school hours because I have no one to bring me and no one to watch my son. I can't take this it's soo frustrating I'm starting to feel like I'll be jobless/carless and in the projects forever :'( I try so hard to be positive bc I am doing what I can but I'm starting to lose hope. I want so much more for my son. Oh and they shut off my pa because they're backed up and haven't gotten to mine...I need to hear some positive stories anyone have any?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mytrueloveS
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Not forever, keep looking, you'll find a job.  

MsLogansMommy
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this

whenever I feel frustrated I always try to look at what I actually do have and how things could be so much worse for instance your child is healthy right? I think about all those sweet innocent little children that have life threatening diseases and I am so grateful that my dd is healthy. you have a roof over your head? My heart breaks when I see someone eating out of a garbage can. So you do have things to be grateful for. Hopefully that will help with the emotionally part but here are some suggestions for the other parts. In my town there is a program called 4C's it is an agency that pays for childcare if I am working, in school, or looking for work, maybe you can check around to see if you have anything like there where you live. I would start a small savings for a car and you just have to be patient it may not grow as fast as you want but try cutting back in some places such as cable or phone also keep lights off and heater down. You could sell things on Craigslist. When you do get a job you could also look into a loan to get the car. Research Research Research There are many resources that arent widely advertised so if you arent looking you could just pass them right by. Have you thought about going back to school you could possibly qualify for a pell grant or scholarships and those arent things that need to be paid back. Dont give up things have a way of working out.

MicahBoo07
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Did u try McDonalds? They have a program when moms can work between school hours so u could be home when ur son gets home.

kristiansmommy1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you, I usually am positive. Even when my son had trouble in school and everything that's how I looked at it, he's healthy and even tho he has emotional issues it could be so much worse, I do feel blessed everyday for that and that I do have a place to stay. It is sad to see people that are homeless and I know how easy it happens with the rents so high or a house being foreclosed on so you're right, I do have a lot to be positive about and thankful for. There's a work search program here but the caseload is so high they don't accept new people but I will have to do more research. I usually do keep my faith but idk why it's been hard lately. I will deff look into more resources that might be around here. Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to hear

Quoting MsLogansMommy:

whenever I feel frustrated I always try to look at what I actually do have and how things could be so much worse for instance your child is healthy right? I think about all those sweet innocent little children that have life threatening diseases and I am so grateful that my dd is healthy. you have a roof over your head? My heart breaks when I see someone eating out of a garbage can. So you do have things to be grateful for. Hopefully that will help with the emotionally part but here are some suggestions for the other parts. In my town there is a program called 4C's it is an agency that pays for childcare if I am working, in school, or looking for work, maybe you can check around to see if you have anything like there where you live. I would start a small savings for a car and you just have to be patient it may not grow as fast as you want but try cutting back in some places such as cable or phone also keep lights off and heater down. You could sell things on Craigslist. When you do get a job you could also look into a loan to get the car. Research Research Research There are many resources that arent widely advertised so if you arent looking you could just pass them right by. Have you thought about going back to school you could possibly qualify for a pell grant or scholarships and those arent things that need to be paid back. Dont give up things have a way of working out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristiansmommy1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:06 AM
No are you serious?? I'm gonna have to try them, I'm used to dd and it's very early mornings or very late you have to be available and retail I've worked at was the same but I'm gonna go apply there as soon as my son goes to school! Thank you

Quoting MicahBoo07:

Did u try McDonalds? They have a program when moms can work between school hours so u could be home when ur son gets home.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
devynsmommy09
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Hmm...have you thought about trying to get a job at the school?  Schools always have openings somewhere.  Then you could be near your little one too!  I guess that only works if the school is near your home.

I would also check out your local unemployment office, they usually have a workforce office that can help you find a job.  Do you guys have JobCorp there?  We had it in Ohio but not here in SC (I'm trying to start one now).  Not sure why not.  They train you to do a specific job (medical, receptionist, welding, etc) and then place you.  Some campuses are residential and some are commuter campuses.

Hmm...what else.  Snagajob usually has hourly positions. 

Good luck girl!

kristiansmommy1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:28 AM
I was gonna volunteer at his school, it's like 2.5 miles so not bad but that way I'd atleast have more than just dd and sears on my resume. The job corps closest is a state away, they pay for someone to take care of your kids but I couldn't leave him :( that's awesome you're trying to start one tho!! I'll have to check out snagajob, I do monster and Craigslist but never heard of that. I just got an email back about a babysitting position which will mostly be while he's in school so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that...thank you so much, good luck with the job corps, that's a great program

Quoting devynsmommy09:

Hmm...have you thought about trying to get a job at the school?  Schools always have openings somewhere.  Then you could be near your little one too!  I guess that only works if the school is near your home.

I would also check out your local unemployment office, they usually have a workforce office that can help you find a job.  Do you guys have JobCorp there?  We had it in Ohio but not here in SC (I'm trying to start one now).  Not sure why not.  They train you to do a specific job (medical, receptionist, welding, etc) and then place you.  Some campuses are residential and some are commuter campuses.

Hmm...what else.  Snagajob usually has hourly positions. 

Good luck girl!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM

It's only a season. You'll get through it.

In the meantime, take in some kiddos. I bet there are people around you who need someone to  keep their kids before/after/during school while they work. Just a thought.

MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM
I reply to every post like this to say dial 211. It's a phone directory and they can give you info on local private organizations. There are places that are private (non government) that can help you. I went through one for transitional housing/rent assistance. They offer food pantries, counseling, housing, job placement help, etc. give it a shot and update if you can. I'll send a prayer up for you. Good luck! Don't give up. Push forward.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)