Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

TMI... constipation

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:05 AM
  • 11 Replies
So I am going on 35 weeks pregnant tomorrow, but for the past 4 days or so I have been extremely constipated. I feel like I have to go, but nothing will come out. I've tried everything I could think of. Green tea with lemon and ginseng, apples WITH the skin, oatmeal, I've had tuna casserole (it makes me go usually, except this time), I've tried the cinnamon apple spice from starbucks (helps me go as well, except this time), Ive tried a salad, warm baths, a bowl of mini wheats with lactaid (im lactose intolerant to dairy) and as a last resort last night I took 1 colace pill (doctor recommended earlier in my pregnancy). I am miserable, uncomfortable, and when the baby moves it hurts extremely bad. I can't sleep well either. Any suggestions on what I can do? I was thinking of taking another colace, but I am nervous about it. I don't want to rely on medication to help me, but I am so miserable I don't know what else to try, and I am kind of nervous on taking more than 1 pill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
When I was pregnant I had to take Colace daily. Just get a bottle and take two pills in the morning. Follow the bottle for the maximum daily dose. If you try anything else it won't work well. Colace is safe it's just a stool softener. If pulls more fluid into your bowels so you can poop easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
devynsmommy09
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:22 AM

*Hugs*  Have you tried beans?  When I was preggers Mexican food helped me go quite a bit.  I hope you feel better soon!

iHay
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Prune juice, peppermint tea, beets. Beets and just plain old dried prunes are natural laxatives. Just remember to drink plenty of water.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Lots of water. 

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Oh (((hug))) I'm sorry.  I can't imagine how uncomfortable you must be.

youngmom16
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Eww hate prunes, but hey if it works I'll give it a try! and I just bought some peppermint tea because I LOVE it during the fall/winter so I'll give that a try too, thanks!!

Quoting iHay:

Prune juice, peppermint tea, beets. Beets and just plain old dried prunes are natural laxatives. Just remember to drink plenty of water.

Robsessed98
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Im pretty sure Colace is safe. Have you tried glycerin suppositories? I dont know if enemas are ok, but you might ask your dr.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Reese2010727
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Try drinking warm water

nerdymom28
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Take the Colace. I used it when I was pregnant and it really helped. Once you have a BM you can stop taking it for awhile until it becomes a problem again...if you're really worried about the medication factor of it.

Junip1977
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Drink lots of water, and try the Colace like everyone else suggested.  Not to be gross, but if you can feel the stool but just can't push it out, put some vasoline (spelling?) around your rectum and a little inside....sometimes this is enough to help pass the hard stool, this is usually why we can't get it out.  Good luck, I know how uncomfortable that is.  :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)