Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Do you get judged as a single mom?

When I was looking for a better job one place that I did an interview with two people at the same time one was a lady and she asks me well how are you going to manage working full time, going to school(which is online so not a major deal) and being a mom. I hate hearing that from people oh how do you do it all being a single mother must be hard. Yes its hard but I can do it I have for a year and am doing just fine. I am doing the best I can for me and my kids. Wish some people mind their own business and not judge me because of my status. I am a single mom and happy I may not have a man to help but I am not complaining, am a happy single mother. Ok done venting lol.

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Replies (21-29):
queensweet
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting MsLogansMommy:

lol.. that sounds like someone whom just wants to be in the know of nothing because there is no mystery. single parenthood is just what it is. smh.
ame4c
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

1st of all I never mention I'm a single mother during a job interview.  They can not legally ask those questions.  My employeer does not find out that info until after they hire me.

and the answer to the question do I get judged?  Sure, we all do.  My biggest grip is everyone assumes since I have kids I'm looking for a husband.  Sorry to burst their bubbles, but I've made it this far without a man I don't need one now.

Laurel916
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:05 AM
Quoting MeeshMom:

I get judged sometimes. But mostly people are impressed that I work full time, am a single mom and finishing my bachelors degree. All by myself.

I am doing the same thing and have a very happy 2 year old son and a smile on my face. I prefer to say we are a family of two. Single mom has become negative. I am a full time single mom too. Father does not have visitation- no breaks for me. Love being my sons mommy!
Chellie13
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:43 AM

I got judged by the school system, which is just *one more* reason I don't like schools.  They really looked down on single mothers, even though I was holding it all together and going to nursing school too.  Didn't seem to matter.  They were jerks.  I ended up homeschooling for four years because I got so sick of their crap. 

kahanu
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM
That was illegal what she asked you since if they didnt hire you, it could be.considered discrimination.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vivian0331
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I have been judged for being a single mom but the one thing I have found I am judge more for is because I walked out on my baby's daddy. They judge me cause I chose to be a single mom. Fact of the matter is he really left me no choice. I mean I would never chose my drug addicted ex over my son. It makes me mad that people don't understand the reasons I did that.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I just ignore it.  I've worked full time, gone to school 3/4-1/2 time online, and been a single mom for about 5 years and have had no problems managing all of it.

tyfry7496
by Janet on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:59 PM
I have been judged but never for being a single parent. People are actually surprised when they find out that I raised my son on my own. I get a lot of compliments on my parenting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Blessed_Mommy87
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:55 PM
I get conpliments some will say your brave but the most part is that like when looking for a job and if your a single mom they think you cant do the job, which is wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)