Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Do you get judged as a single mom?

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

When I was looking for a better job one place that I did an interview with two people at the same time one was a lady and she asks me well how are you going to manage working full time, going to school(which is online so not a major deal) and being a mom. I hate hearing that from people oh how do you do it all being a single mother must be hard. Yes its hard but I can do it I have for a year and am doing just fine. I am doing the best I can for me and my kids. Wish some people mind their own business and not judge me because of my status. I am a single mom and happy I may not have a man to help but I am not complaining, am a happy single mother. Ok done venting lol.

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lurion
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM
5 moms liked this

They aren't supposed to ask and you don't need to volunteer the information in a job interview. 

You could also come back with, "Wow, I was just going to ask YOU how you manage being a mom AND maintining a relationship, adding a full grow man's needs into the mix? Must be very difficult. I don't know how you do it!

MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I get judged sometimes. But mostly people are impressed that I work full time, am a single mom and finishing my bachelors degree. All by myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Blessed_Mommy87
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I know I was suprised they were telling me that this is not a normal interview. Lol no kidding and she a has a 13 year old to. I told them I manage just fine.

Quoting Lurion:

They aren't supposed to ask and you don't need to volunteer the information in a job interview. 

You could also come back with, "Wow, I was just going to ask YOU how you manage being a mom AND maintining a relationship, adding a full grow man's needs into the mix? Must be very difficult. I don't know how you do it!

alc4evermom
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Quoting Blessed_Mommy87:

When I was looking for a better job one place that I did an interview with two people at the same time one was a lady and she asks me well how are you going to manage working full time, going to school(which is online so not a major deal) and being a mom. I hate hearing that from people oh how do you do it all being a single mother must be hard. Yes its hard but I can do it I have for a year and am doing just fine. I am doing the best I can for me and my kids. Wish some people mind their own business and not judge me because of my status. I am a single mom and happy I may not have a man to help but I am not complaining, am a happy single mother. Ok done venting lol.

Woah hold the phone there, what he or she did was unlawful.  They can't ask you things like that.  Holy cow!!!  If you don't feel comfortable complaining in person, send a letter to their boss or corporate number.  They may not have thought about the legalities of that when they said it, but they need to know.

So, yes, some people do judge me, but the fact is, some people will find a reason to judge about something at any given chance.  It's the same as being thought of as a slut because you smile a lot, but if you frown a lot you must be a b word. 

You need to do what is best for you;  more power to ya!

Lurion
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Me too. :) When I did that 20 years ago. I also believed I advanced more quickly in my career than other women my age, as they saw me as a more mature professional. 

Quoting MeeshMom:

I get judged sometimes. But mostly people are impressed that I work full time, am a single mom and finishing my bachelors degree. All by myself.

Cenedra64
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Oh yes!! I get talked to like any little minute infraction i dont know how to raise my girls properly. I get looked at talked at like i'm after every man. One gal even had nerve to say why you flirting with my husband? Thought it was funny. He chewed her out. I was asking a serious car question.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:28 AM
2 moms liked this

They can't ask that. The best way to not bring up that question is to not bring up kids in an interview. Once you bring it up... they can ask. If you don't bring it up, they can't ask.

nikabear
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Not at all. I am always complimented on my children. How well behaved they are, how smart the are, how nicely dressed they are, how pretty they are ...how the choose water over juice and soda and on and on....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jasuzha
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Yes, mostly I get told I can't do it myself that my son needs a father.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
h_minkus
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Me too

Quoting Cenedra64:

Oh yes!! I get talked to like any little minute infraction i dont know how to raise my girls properly. I get looked at talked at like i'm after every man. One gal even had nerve to say why you flirting with my husband? Thought it was funny. He chewed her out. I was asking a serious car question.

Hannah

Work from home LDS mom of 3 boys, ages 5, 2, and brand new!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)