Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Kids and Peanut Allergy Need advice please

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM
  • 9 Replies

My kids are visiting with their dad since he lives in a  different state . I get along great with his wife now and she does well with my kids. I got a call from her today saying she took my son to the doctor he got really sick after eating peanut butter and  after tests, doctor said he has peanut allergy am suprised because before he had peanut butter and was fine.

So does anyone have kids who is allergic to peanut butter and what foods is best to avoid and all. I am new to this I am not sure what is he allowed to have. Thank You ladies.

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mrsary
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:15 PM
My sons are allergic to peanuts, eggs, and wheat and it sucks! Most regular food contains one (if not all) of those products!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Blessed_Mommy87
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Wow am sorry :( looks like I am going to have to keep a close on him then. They prescibed him the pen also.

Quoting mrsary:

My sons are allergic to peanuts, eggs, and wheat and it sucks! Most regular food contains one (if not all) of those products!

brieri
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:02 PM

The best way to know what's in the food is check what's in it by looking at the ingredients.

Robsessed98
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:11 PM
I dont know, but Id google the hell out of it. My dd has a friend thats allergic to peanuts and lots of other things so she always carries an epipen with her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsary
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM
My sons have en epipen jr also.

Quoting Blessed_Mommy87:

Wow am sorry :( looks like I am going to have to keep a close on him then. They prescibed him the pen also.

Quoting mrsary:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andyroosmama
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Hi, Mama! I have a child with a life threatening allergy to peanuts... You should lump all tree nuts into this, peaches, eggs, bananas in limits, oatmeal, granola, chocolate, ice cream, check the labels on your breads, cereals, and other processed grains... even the slightest exposure can trigger the allergy... BTW, it is usually due to protein sensitivity... and these all have a similar protein. I have to do this or else my boy can die... oh and popcorn too...

Blessed_Mommy87
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Wow that is a lot  lol but thank you for the information. I will have to put things ina  higher place so he don't get into. Thank You I heard of schools not letting peanut butter I didn't think it could be that be that bad.

Quoting andyroosmama:

Hi, Mama! I have a child with a life threatening allergy to peanuts... You should lump all tree nuts into this, peaches, eggs, bananas in limits, oatmeal, granola, chocolate, ice cream, check the labels on your breads, cereals, and other processed grains... even the slightest exposure can trigger the allergy... BTW, it is usually due to protein sensitivity... and these all have a similar protein. I have to do this or else my boy can die... oh and popcorn too...

PaperClip811
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Be careful with that too... I've read that Sometimes the allergy can be so sensitive that if you consume peanut products and then kiss your child he could have a reaction. Just something to keep in mind :)

Quoting Blessed_Mommy87:

Wow that is a lot  lol but thank you for the information. I will have to put things ina  higher place so he don't get into. Thank You I heard of schools not letting peanut butter I didn't think it could be that be that bad.

Quoting andyroosmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andyroosmama
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:26 PM

We actually don't even keep a majority of those foods in the house to keep from having an incident... and like Paperclip said, some children are so sensitive that if you consume the nut/product and then kiss or breathe too close, the child can have a reaction... Another thing to keep in mind is the bakery at your store... they get their desserts in prebaked and frozen... possible cross contamination before making it to your house, and Chick Fil A is not a dining out option because they use peanut oil. Just some things to keep in mind. bump

Quoting Blessed_Mommy87:

Quoting andyroosmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN