Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

going back to court?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM
  • 6 Replies
I have been divorced for a little over a year. Xh and I have a working relationship. No expressed or implied anger....esp in front of our 2 kids. Here is my problem: in our divorce papers, I agreed to less than minimum child support, and the cs should have back-dated for 2 months, plus he had to pay half deductibles and copays on medical and prescriptions. He does not have to carry them his insurance or pay half their premiums.
He has not paid any of their medical bills at all or child support that he was supposed to. State said they have no record and he hasn't missed any payments since they started....but have no record of anything previous to first payment. In order to get what is owed to me I have to go to court. I was thinking about changing what is paid up to the minimum also. I don't want it to cause hatred toward me but it is owed to us. I had to borrow money because he wasn't paying when he should have been.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LeeLee375
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this
"I don't want it to cause hatred toward me" ......?? He doesn't seem the least bit concerned about what it causes for you. Hardship, hatred, or anything else.
Yes, go back to court, and yes bump it up to at least minimum. Your children deserve it. That's the purpose of child support, so the kids get the financial benefit of two parents, not just one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mhaney03
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Quoting LeeLee375:

"I don't want it to cause hatred toward me" ......?? He doesn't seem the least bit concerned about what it causes for you. Hardship, hatred, or anything else.
Yes, go back to court, and yes bump it up to at least minimum. Your children deserve it. That's the purpose of child support, so the kids get the financial benefit of two parents, not just one.

THIS.

chels210
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:54 AM
My only problem is him causing a different hardship, like being an asshole about visitation or something like that. He got remarried and I think he is in more of a financial bind now, but that isn't my kids problem
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandie66
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:30 AM

If you are gonna do it, do it now. I have been playing with the state since March, trying to get my CS back to where it was before he became unemployed. Yesterday they told me it could be another 6 months.

devynsmommy09
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:44 AM

If you have a working relationship, can you try talking to him about it before making it official?  Best case scenario he says "what a fantastic idea, I will gladly pay more since I know raising children is expensive" or worst case scenario, take him to court.

Either way, you have to always do what is best for the kids.  The ex may or may not be around but those kids are yours to raise for the next 18 years...that can be hard on a single income.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM

i would just civilly tell himt hat you are going to adjust child support. he will get mad. dont engage with him. just tell him "i need it for the kids, i dont want to argue" and hang up or leave. he will get used to it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)