Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

All this taxes talk..

Posted by   + Show Post
Has your bd claimed your child before you? I'm worried my ex, who has zero custody, is going to try to claim my son. He already claims him for his fasfa, and gets a ton back. It wouldn't put it past me to think he'd do the same. We have court 1/24 to determine everything, and I plan on taking him for back child support.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Replies (21-28):
recovered55
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:37 AM
He does, he makes nothing. His dad pays 100% of his school, he shouldn't even recieve fasfa. I think that's fraud in itself.

Quoting rae021:

Financial aid goes off your taxes, not just what you write down. And I get 1-2thoudand extra a semester. He must qualify as very low income or has been claiming your kid on taxes already bc they actually allow you to link the sites now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rae021
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:02 AM
I'm confused. How old is he? If he is under 24, parental info is NEC on financial aid. Oh nm I get it he's using the kid to claim independent while his daddy is paying neway so he gets reimbursed thousands ... That sucks bc they won't allow u to touch it. I'm sorry .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:55 AM
You just have to file anyway claiming your kids. The IRS will investigate and you can file a dispute I'm sure. I would also go to court to have it in your custody agreement that you get to claim since you have primary custody.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I have primary physical custody of our daughter and she is with me 350 days a year...so he would truely be a moron to even ask or try to file with her on his taxes!!! especially since he does not even pay his court ordered child support!!!

Lurion
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Yep, my stbx did that last year, and one year when we were separated a while ago. He basically "told" me he was going to claim one kid and I claimed the other, then we worked it out in mediation who would claim them moving forward. 

I have a friend who has 50/50 and somehow they both ended up claiming the kids and now she's in BIG trouble with the IRS cause he filed his taxes first. 

adulation
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM

nope.   we live with my mom so my mom actually claims her.

he did, however, try to tell me that i should give him half of my tax return.

devynsmommy09
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Its never happened to me, but even if he did, the state would catch it and ask you to prove that you provide at least 50% of the childs care.  As long as you can do that, they would flag him and make him pay back the credit that he gets.

mjackson77
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM

My son father ask to claim my him one year and I told him no. He ask again the following year and I gave him a award winning speech. He never ask again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN