Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Preschool teacher caught hauling 19 kids in minicar, gets a timeout

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM
  • 8 Replies

Have any of you read this article yet? What do you think about her punishment for her actions?

Preschool teacher caught hauling 19 kids in minicar, gets a timeout

Nuclear physicists. Tornado chasers. Presidential debate room spinners. All have easier jobs trying to handle unpredictable energy than a typical preschool teacher dealing with a throng of four to six-year-olds. It's not the best choice of profession for someone who decides the best way to take a field trip involves packing 19 children into a car the size of a Honda Fit.

According to reports from Pretoria, South Africa, teacher Melanie Minnie from the Rietfontein nursery school decided last Wednesday to haul her 31 wards to a mall about a mile away for a celebratory lunch. While such a trip would involve a convoy of minivans at most American preschools, for reasons that no one has yet to unearth, Minnie decided to haul all of the children herself in a Renault Clio, a subcompact five-door hatchback. Mall patrons apparently noticed children tumbling from the Clio like circus clowns and called police, who found three children in Minnie's front seat, 11 in the rear seat and six in the hatch.

Minnie admitted to police she was at the tail end of her hauling -- as she had already delivered the 31 kids to the restaurant, and taken back another 12 to the preschool while leaving the last 19 on the restaurant's playground during her shuttling. In the United States, Minnie would have faced multiple charges, several lawsuits and at least one Lifetime movie of the week portrayal for her poor judgment. Instead, local police gave her a traffic citation worth $170 and arranged to have the children toted back in less extreme conditions, noting that she couldn't be punished for the other trips since they weren't witnessed.

"It is the first time we went on an outing," Minnie told the Beeld newspaper. "And the last time."

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/preschool-teacher-caught-hauling-19-kids-minicar-gets-163645531.html

by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
erinmomofone
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:25 PM
Really? If my daycare provider did that I would be pissed! She needs to get in more trouble. What if there was an accident.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GLO682
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:26 PM

wtf!

easinpc
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Thats what I thought too!  There is no way I would let my child stay in her class!

Quoting erinmomofone:

Really? If my daycare provider did that I would be pissed! She needs to get in more trouble. What if there was an accident.

erinmomofone
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Me either I would be taking my kid to another place.

Quoting easinpc:

Thats what I thought too!  There is no way I would let my child stay in her class!

Quoting erinmomofone:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mytrueloveS
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM

WOW!  

tyfry7496
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:57 PM
If that was in Wisconsin, she'd not only lose her license to teach but she'd face criminal charges for child endangerment and face prison time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:58 PM

omg.....

Robsessed98
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Why would any adult, especially one that works with children, even consider doing such an assinine thing? Smh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN