Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I have to get her a gift

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:08 PM
  • 11 Replies

My daughter's dad has been living with his gf and her daughters for a few months and so whe he has Lila she stays there with them.  So the younger daughter's birthday is this weekend so Lila is going to go with him so she can go to the party.  So I asked him what I shoud get the little girl for her birthday and he said "you don't have to get anything".  I know that I don't really have the money for it and so it will be a small gift, but  feel like it would be better than nothing at all, right?!

I can't decide if he doesn't want me to get the girl a gift from Lila beause he's worried it wont be super nice or she might not like it,  or if he doesn't want his gf to know that i'm a nice person, or he just doesn't want me to spend money he knows i don't have.

If you were in this situation you'd get the girl a gift, right??  it just seems like the "duh" thing to do, imo.

I am going to go to Micheal's and see if they have any craft kids on sale so I can get her a couple of things instead of just one thing.  she is turning 6, so hopefully she likes it.

by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Robsessed98
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
IMO its his job to pay for the gift since its for his gfs dd from his dd. But, its really nice of you to get it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charliebean
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Yes, if I was in that situation I would get a gift also. I don't think you HAVE to, but I know that I would feel kinda obligated since she's close to my daughter, but that's just me. I think it's really nice of you though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Ok, just something to ponder about.  What if it was reversed?  You have a b/f and he has a daughter.  Do you think dad would take your daughter out to get your b/f's daughter a gift? 

I know your a mom and trying to do the right thing, but see it may not happen and you get stuck with it ALL the time no matter what side.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I agree with this, and think it's really nice to even offer!

Quoting Robsessed98:

IMO its his job to pay for the gift since its for his gfs dd from his dd. But, its really nice of you to get it.

KPBMom
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I'd be getting the girl a gift too.  I think a craft from Michael's or a book is perfect.  Kids that age love Junie B. Jones so that's my go-to book choice.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:43 PM

With my sons dad and I normally whoever he is going to the party/event with is the one that buys the gift for him to give to that person.  If it's a friend of our sons then I usually end up buying it because most of the parties fall when I have our son. 

adulation
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I didn't even think to say he should buy the gift... lol.  I guess I'm just so used to doing everything.  Well I will send her with a little something.  I don't want her to go over there empty-handed.

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM

This is me.. I would feel guilty if they went empty handed. 

Quoting adulation:

I didn't even think to say he should buy the gift... lol.  I guess I'm just so used to doing everything.  Well I will send her with a little something.  I don't want her to go over there empty-handed.

tyfry7496
by Janet on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:59 PM
I would not get a gift for the girl. That's your exs responsibility.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:21 AM
I don't buy presents for my ex's gf kid. That's their job, if they want my kiddo to give presents they can spend their money.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)