Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Private School vs Public School... HELP!!

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is in second grade attending a Montessouri school since last year. I thought that putting him into a Montessouri school would be the best option since he is bright, easily bored and very hands on. But now i'm faced with the decision of whether or not I should take him out and if I do which is the next best option, Public School or Private School.

Last week I had a parent teacher conference where she informed me that my son went from being 90% in math and 60% in reading in the standardized tests to 10% on both areas. She couldn't really explain why he had such a huge drop nor why she had waited an entire month to let me know this was happening. I'm thoroughly pissed that she waited so long but I held my cool and asked what she recommended I could do with my son in order to help him succeed. My son says he is bored and seems to be quite crabby everytime he comes home from school. I have just been attributing it to the fact that he was just tired from working so hard. I know my son is smart and can do quite a bit when we are at home. Both years have been quite the struggle with this school and I don't know if saying enough is the right thing to do.

I guess what I'm wondering is if I should take him out of his school so he doesn't get further and further behind or should I help him more at home so that he can succeed hopefully during the next tests in January. I know that Montessouri is for some people and not for others and my very strict parenting style probably makes it harder b/c at home there is lots of discipline and at school there isn't. Do you think he needs to go into a more structured environment? I'm at such a loss right now and my mother is trying to get me to send him to a Catholic school which I would barely be able to afford. What do you think?

by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 5:19 PM
Replies (11-11):
plprincess78
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 3:35 PM
It really depends on the schools in your area. Some are really good others not so much. The schools in our area and not good so both my kids are in private school. Yes its a huge financial burden to cover both their tuition and we do without other things because of it..but knowing I'm doing what i can to give them a better education means more. My dd is learning in 3rd grade what our local public schools dont teach till 4th.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)