Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Hyperemesis...in other words, severe nausea during pregnancy

Did anyone else have this or heard of this. Its an illness 2% of preggo women get that cause severe nausea and pain. I lost maybe ten pounds and sometimes I'm vomiting three or four times a day, it makes me miserable. I was on medication to help, but now that I can't get any more until my next dr. appt, does anyone know any remedies for severe nausea??!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Replies (261-270):
Phillymama123
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM
did not have this but in addition to certain foods, an empty stomach made me vomit. I kept crackers on my bed. My best friend is on zofran.
AshleyBDG
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM
I've had to be on zofran and phenergan simultaneously the whole time and I sometimes still puke at 22wks. If I go more than 5 hrs without taking the meds I'm sick. I've been super sick with all my pregnancies. This is #3. I lost 17lbs with my first and 10 with my 2nd and always end up weighing less than after baby is born than when I started out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaRB
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:57 AM

I had this for both of my pregnancies.  The second time around was worse.  The day before I delivered Iwas 30 pounds less than the day I found out I was pregnant, which means I lost close to 60 pounds of personal weight throughout the nine months.  I was in the hospital for 10 days on IV fluids and nourishment.  I only got to go home because I started flushing what I had vomited so they thought I was starting to keep food and liquids down. I saw my doctor every week for the entire 9 months.  I can only tell that it will lessen.  Mine never went completely away.  I was always sick first thing in the morning and  late afternoon or evening. Eventually thought I began to keep food down mid day. 

Sucking on an apple is supposed to be good for nausea.  Don't eat it, just suck the juice out.   Supposedly the pectin is good for nausea.  Hang in there.  The baby will be fine and so will  you.  The upside?  The minute I delivered it all went away-completely.  Also, it's a sign that your hormones are raging and working.  A viable, healthy baby is growing inside of you!

Good luck!

jojobear714
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I had it with all 3 of my pregnancies. With my first I lost 30 pounds before they finally put me on zofran at 6 months. With my second I lost 15,and was on Iv therapy 3 times a week because of dehydration ( I couldn't even drink water without vomiting)and I was finally able to get zofran at 4 months. With my third they listened and gave it to me by 2 months so I actually gained with that. I got quite tired of people who would tell me I was exaggerating because the hyperemesis is so rare. I would be working and they would throw crackers and ginger ale and tell me I'd be fine.  Most of the normal morning sickness remedies work with hyperemesis. Sometimes mint or lollipops can help,but not always. it was awful, and with my third I was out on disability for 4 months because of it,I couldn't work more than 15 minutes without vomiting. It's tough, hang in there, you have to be able to eat to keep a baby healthy!

witchybabymomma
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I've heard of it, but never had it sorry :-(

chocolate75751
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Try chewing gum too. It sometimes helped me, something to do with the increase in saliva. Good luck!

childofgod04
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I had it and it was horrible!! Almost nothing helped. I didn't even know what was going on until I went to the hospital after being severely dehydrated and hardly eating a thing for 3 weeks straight. They told me that's what I had and I had to have IV fluids and be on 4 different medications. I was so severely sick that they told me I almost died! I tried ginger and mint. They helped momentarily but not for long.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

LifeSavorLove
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I didn't know it had a name?! I lost 23 pounds throwing up. I was stuck in bed for weeks. My bf at the time called me a wimp.

HBrad3398
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I had to have crackers and gingerale at the bedside for every morning. I ate some crackers before My head even left the pillow, then slowly worked my way to sitting and standing, letting my blood sugar stabilize before moving around too much. NO SUDDEN MOVEMENTS! And most importantly, I NEVER let myself get hungry throughout the day, because that is when the nausea set in. Small meals and snacks. Stay hydrated because not enough liquids can lead to nausea also.

HBrad3398
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Yep, it's full name is hyperemesis gravidarium.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)